|Genres||Heavy metal, hard rock|
|Years active||1965 - present|
|Labels||Rhino, RCA, Mercury, EMI, Atlantic, WEA, BMG|
|See: List of former members|
Scorpions are a heavy metal/hard rock band from Hanover, Germany, probably best known for their 1980s rock anthem "Rock You Like a Hurricane" and their singles "No One Like You", "Still Loving You", and "Wind of Change". The band has sold over 100 million albums worldwide  and were ranked #46 on VH1's Greatest Artists of Hard Rock program.
Band members[change | change source]
Current members[change | change source]
- Klaus Meine - lead vocals, rhythm guitar, percussion, tambourine, backing vocals (1970-present)
- Matthias Jabs - lead & rhythm guitars (1978-present)
- Rudolf Schenker - rhythm & lead guitars, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Hey You" (1965-present)
- Paweł Mąciwoda - bass, backing vocals (2003-present)
- James Kottak - drums, percussion, backing vocals (1996-present)
Former members[change | change source]
- Lothar Heimberg - bass, backing vocals (1965-1973)
- Wolfgang Dziony - drums, percussion (1965-1973)
- Michael Schenker - lead & rhythm guitars (1970-1973, 1979)
- Ulrich Roth - lead & rhythm guitars, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Drifting Sun", "Fly to the Rainbow", "Dark Lady", "Sun in My Hand", "Hell Cat", "Polar Nights" (1973-1978)
- Francis Buchholz - bass, backing vocals (1973-1983, 1984-1992, 1994)
- Achim Kirschning - keyboards (1973-1974)
- Joe Wyman - drums, percussion (1973)
- Jürgen Rosenthal - drums, percussion (1973-1975)
- Rudy Lenners - drums, percussion (1975-1977)
- Herman Rarebell - drums, percussion (1977-1983, 1984-1995)
- Don Dokken - lead vocals, backing vocals (1981)
- Jimmy Bain - bass (1983-1984)
- Neil Murray - bass (1983-1984)
- Bobby Rondinelli - drums, percussion (1983-1984)
- Ralph Rieckermann - bass (1993-2000, 2000-2003)
- Curt Cress - drums, percussion (1996)
- Ken Taylor - bass (2000)
- Barry Sparks - bass (2004)
- Ingo Powitzer - bass (2004)
Manager[change | change source]
- Stewart Young (1995-Present)
Discography[change | change source]
Albums[change | change source]
- Lonesome Crow (1972)
- Fly to the Rainbow (1974)
- In Trance (1975)
- Virgin Killer (1976)
- Taken by Force (1977)
- Tokyo Tapes (1978, live)
- Lovedrive (1979)
- Animal Magnetism (1980)
- Blackout (1982)
- Love at First Sting (1984)
- World Wide Live (1985, live)
- Savage Amusement (1988)
- Crazy World (1990)
- Face the Heat (1993)
- Live Bites (1995, live)
- Pure Instinct (1996)
- Eye II Eye (1999)
- Moment of Glory (with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, 2000)
- Acoustica (2001, acoustic)
- Unbreakable (2004)
- Humanity: Hour I (2007)
- Sting in the Tail (2010)
References[change | change source]
- Ingham, Chris. The Book of Metal. Thunder's Mouth Press. pp. g. 104. .
- Weinstein, Deena. Heavy Metal: The Music and its Culture. DaCapo, 2000. ISBN 0-306-80970-2, pg. 29, 36.
- Christe, Ian. Sound of the Beast. Allison & Busby. pp. g. 2. .
- Walser, Robert. Running with The Devil. Wesleyan University Press. pp. gs. 2. .
- M. C. Strong (1998). The great rock discography. Giunti. pp. g. 722. .
- Philip Dodd (2005). The Book of Rock: from the 1950s to today. Thunder's Mouth Press. .
- "Scorpions Biography". www.bighairmetal.com. http://www.bighairmetal.com/Scorpions.htm. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
- "75 million sold copies". popmatters.com. http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/reviews/47804/scorpions-humanity. Retrieved 2007-10-29.
- The Greatest: 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock (40 - 21) at VH1.com
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Scorpions (band)|