Mian Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif (Punjabi: /Urdu: میاں محمد شہاز شریف, born 23 September 1951) is a well-known Pakistani politician and currently President of Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) (PML-N). He is the brother of Nawaz Sharif, former Prime Minister of Pakistan. He is the chief minister of Pakistan's most populous province Punjab since 2008. Previously, he held this position from 1997 to 1999, when Pervez Musharraf took control of Pakistan in a military coup. He, along with his entire family, was forced into exile until his return to Pakistan in late 2007.
On 29 July 2017, Sharif was named as the Prime Minister of Pakistan following the resignation of outgoing Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif after Panama Papers case decision. After Shahid Khaqan Abbasi was elected Prime Minister of Pakistan, it was reported that he's likely to continue as Prime Minister for next ten months until 2018 general election due to reluctance of Shahbaz Sharif to leave the post of the Chief Minister of Punjab.
References[change | change source]
- "Shahbaz Sharif will be Pakistan's next Prime Minister" (in en). www.thenews.com.pk. https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/219632-Shehbaz-Sharif-to-replace-Nawaz-Sharif. Retrieved 28 July 2017.
- Abbas, AP (28 July 2017). "Shahbaz tipped to be Nawaz's choice for prime minister: reports" (in en). DAWN.COM. https://www.dawn.com/news/1348225/shahbaz-tipped-to-be-nawazs-choice-for-prime-minister-reports. Retrieved 29 July 2017.
- "Shahid Khaqan Abbasi likely to continue as Pakistan PM for 10-month PML-N tenure". The Indian Express. 3 August 2017. http://indianexpress.com/article/pakistan/pakistan-pm-shahid-khaqan-abbasi-nawaz-sharif-4780752/. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Shahid Khaqan Abbasi to continue as prime minister for 10-month PML-N tenure: sources". Daily Pakistan Global. https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/headline/shahid-khaqan-abbasi-will-remain-prime-minister-till-2018-sources/. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- Reporter, The Newspaper's Staff (2 August 2017). "Sana opposes Shahbaz’s elevation to Centre" (in en). DAWN.COM. https://www.dawn.com/news/1349073/sana-opposes-shahbazs-elevation-to-centre. Retrieved 5 August 2017.