Sir Sidney Robert Nolan (1917—1992) is regarded as one of Australia's great artists. He used many art forms including painting, drawing, printmaking, set design (for theatre), murals, spray painting and collage. He created over 10,000 individual art works, considered a prolific, or large, number of works of art.
Nolan is famous for his set of 27 Ned Kelly paintings. His friend, Sunday Reed, donated 25 of the paintings to the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra, where a special room has been built to display them. In 2010 one of the Kelly paintings was given to the National Gallery of Victoria. One of the Kelly paintings not owned by the museum was sold in March 2010 for AU$5.4 million. This was the highest price ever paid for an Australian painting.
Nolan was born in Carlton, Victoria on 22 April 1917. He attended Prahran Technical College and studied art at the National Gallery School in Melbourne. In 1948 he moved to Sydney, New South Wales and then in 1953 he moved to London where he stayed until his death on 28 November 1992.
References[change | change source]
- "Sir Sidney Robert Nolan". Design and Art Australia Online. 2011. http://www.daao.org.au/bio/sir-sidney-robert-nolan/. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- Cuthbertson, Debbie (April 22, 2017). "Sidney Nolan: Australian Synchrotron helps reveal the man behind the Ned Kelly mask". Sidney Morning Herald. http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/melbourne-arts/sidney-nolan-the-man-behind-the-mask-20170420-gvosz9.html. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- "Sidney Nolan". Sidney Nolan Trust. http://www.sidneynolantrust.org/about/sidney-nolan. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Australia's modernist painters – Arthur Boyd, Sidney Nolan, Albert Tucker and Joy Hester – Melbourne 1940s–". Australian Government. http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/australias-modernist-painters. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- Underhill, Nancy D.H. (2016). "Nolan, Sir Sidney Robert (Sid) (1917–1992)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/nolan-sir-sidney-robert-sid-17826. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- "New Home for Ned Kelly". National Gallery of Australia. 2011. http://nga.gov.au/Nolan/Index.cfm. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Nolan Artwork an Early Birthday Present for the NGV". National Gallery of Victoria. 23 April 2010. http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/media_release/nolan-artwork-an-early-birthday-present-for-the-ngv/. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- Vincent, Michael (26 March 2010). "Nolan's Ned Kelly no steal at $5.4m". ABC News. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/25/2856436.htm. Retrieved 10 November 2016.