Skinheads, named after their short haircuts, are members of a subculture that originated in Britain in late 1960s, where they were closely tied to the Rude Boys and the Mods. They shave their heads, because originally most of them were workers in factories and they had to be bald, so their hair could not get caught in the machines.
People who are not part of the group often see Skinheads as being politically close to the Neo-Nazi (or White Power) movement. Often Skinheads are seen as part of that movement. This is wrong, given that there are many young people in the movement who have no political views at all. Many Skinheads are also not violent, unless they are provoked.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Libcom.org: A Brief History of Skinhead Culture
- Reggae, Reggae, Reggae Archived 2008-12-17 at the Wayback Machine The Skinhead Movement and Reggae Music
- Papaskin American skinhead web site with news, images, forum, etc.
- Aussie Skins Australian skinhead web site with news, images, forum, etc.
- Oi! the Truth Archived 2008-07-31 at the Wayback Machine History of Oi! according to Garry Bushell
- SHARP Skinheads Archived 2007-02-24 at the Wayback Machine UK skinhead site with news, images, forum, etc.
- Skins and Punks in Indonesia! Archived 2012-02-01 at the Wayback Machine1400 Photos