Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
|Headquarters||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) is an US-based professional non-profit organization of applied mathematicians who are working in the field of education and research of applied mathematics. They do so with publishing textbooks and academic journals, holding academic conferences, and giving awards to experts of applied mathematics.
Difference Between AMS and SIAM[change | change source]
AMS (American Mathematical Society) is also an organization for American mathematicians, but SIAM and AMS has the following differences:
- The interest of AMS is the field of pure and applied mathematics, but SIAM focuses on applied mathematics, especially statistics, optimization, and numerical analysis.
- AMS takes action in the United States, but SIAM has several branches inside and outside the United States. For example, SIAM has MEXSIAM (Mexico Section of SIAM), ARSIAM (Argentina Section of SIAM), COSIAM (Columbia Section of SIAM), SIAM UKIE (United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland Section of SIAM), and EASIAM (East Asia Section of SIAM).
Journals from SIAM[change | change source]
These are the journals currently published from SIAM.
- SIAM Review
- SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics
- SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis
- SIAM Journal on Financial Mathematics
- Theory of Probability and Its Applications
- SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems
- SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications (Journal about matrix analysis)
Journals about numerical analysis[change | change source]
- Multiscale Modeling and Simulation
- SIAM Journal on Computing
- SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing
- SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis
Journals about optimization[change | change source]
- SIAM Journal on Optimization
- SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization
Textbooks from SIAM[change | change source]
SIAM has published many textbooks for various fields in applied mathematics. For example, they have literature for approximation theory, numerical analysis, numerical linear algebra, and optimization. SIAM is also publishing the following series.
- ASA-SIAM Series on Statistics and Applied Probability
- CBMS-NSF Regional Conf. Series In Applied Math
- Classics in Applied Mathematics
- Financial Mathematics
- MOS-SIAM Series on Optimization
- SIAM Spotlights
- Software, Environments, and Tools
- Studies in Applied and Numerical Mathematics
Related pages[change | change source]
- American Mathematical Society
- Timeline of women in mathematics in the United States
- Japan Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (Japanese counterpart of SIAM)
- International Congress on Industrial and Applied Mathematics
Other websites[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "SOCIETY FOR INDUSTRIAL AND APPLIED MATHEMATICS Form 990 2015". ProPublica. 9 May 2013. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- SIAM Review on JSTOR
- SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, ResearchGate
- SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis, ResearchGate
- SIAM Journal on Financial Mathematics, ResearchGate
- Theory of Probability and Its Applications, ResearchGate
- SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems, ResearchGate
- SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, ResearchGate
- SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, ResearchGate
- SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, ResearchGate
- Trefethen, L. N. (2019). Approximation theory and approximation practice. SIAM.
- Conte, S. D., & De Boor, C. (2017). Elementary numerical analysis: an algorithmic approach. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
- Demmel, J. W. (1997). Applied numerical linear algebra. SIAM.
- Trefethen, Lloyd; Bau III, David (1997). Numerical Linear Algebra (1st ed.). Philadelphia: SIAM.
- Intriligator, M. D. (2002). Mathematical optimization and economic theory. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
- SIAM Book Series