South Deering, Chicago

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

South Deering, located on Chicago's far South Side, is the largest of the 77 official community areas of that city. It is part of the 10th Ward, once under the control of former Richard J. Daley ally Alderman Edward Vrdolyak.

It is an industrial neighborhood, a small group of homes exists in the northeast corner and Lake Calumet takes up a large portion of the area. 80% of the community is zoned as industrial, natural wetlands, or parks. The remaining 20% is zoned for residential and small-scale commercial uses.

Louis Rosen documented the racial transition of this and nearby communities in his 1998 book The South Side: The Racial Transformation of an American Neighborhood.[1]

References[change | change source]

  1. Rosen, Louis (1998). The South Side : the racial transformation of an American neighborhood. Chicago: Ivan R. Dee. ISBN 1-56663-190-4.

Other websites[change | change source]