Jump to navigation Jump to search
Spindle could mean:
- Spindle (textiles), a device to spin fibres into thread. It is the root from which other usages derive
- A spindle is a measure of spun cotton equal to 18 hanks
- Spindle, a poisonous shrub or small tree of the genus Euonymus
- Spindle (stationery), a device for holding paper documents
- A spindle, also called cakebox, is the plastic container in which bulk blank CDs and DVDs are often sold
- A spindle is the axis on which the platters of a computer hard disk spin. Database performance can be improved by spindling, the action of mounting data files and index files on different hard disks so that contention for read or write resources is diminished
- A spindle is a woodworking machine rotating on a vertical axis in which shaped cutters are mounted for cutting mouldings, rebates and similar features in wood. It does (usually on a bigger scale) many of the non-routing jobs done by a modern portable (spindle) router. See also router.
- A spindle is part of an automobile suspension system. It carries the hub for the wheel. It attaches to the upper and lower control arms
- A spindle is part of a bicycle pedal. It carries the pedal body and threads into the crank arm.
- Mitotic spindle, a cellular structure organizing and separating the chromosomes during mitosis
- A muscle spindle is a specialized innervated muscle structure involved in the reflex action and in proprioception
| This disambiguation page lists articles with similar titles.
If a link brought you here, you can go back and fix it so it goes straight to the right page.