St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance
|Headquarters||2831 N. 31st Avenue|
St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance is a nonprofit, nonsectarian organization in Phoenix, Arizona. It was founded in 1967 by John van Hengel. St. Mary's was the first modern organization to operate using the food bank model. This spread throughout the U.S and the rest of the world. Today, St. Mary's is known as the world's first food bank.
Operation[change | change source]
Since its creation, St. Mary's has expanded its operations to 9 of Arizona's 15 counties. They have given millions of pounds of food each year.
Pantry[change | change source]
St. Mary's also operates its own food pantry. It allows people to get food directly from the warehouse.
Programs[change | change source]
St. Mary's is a member of Feeding America, a network of hunger-relief organizations also founded by van Hengel for giving food to people across the country.
Partnerships and Support[change | change source]
Companies and organizations that have partnered with St. Mary's include:
Education[change | change source]
The organization also offers specialized programs apart from food banking. It includes after-school programs for children and career training for adults.
Community involvement[change | change source]
St. Mary's depends on involvement from people within the community to continue operating. Some of the ways that people have involved include:
- Volunteering in the warehouse
- Starting a food drive or fund drive to supply the food bank
- Creating partnerships with new organizations
- Attending and working at special events
- Monetary donations
- Advocating for policy change and spreading awareness of hunger in Arizona
References[change | change source]
- ↑ https://www.feedingknowledge.net/02-search?p_p_id=1_WAR_feeding_knowledgeportlet&p_p_lifecycle=2&p_p_state=maximized&p_p_mode=view&p_p_cacheability=cacheLevelPage&_1_WAR_feeding_knowledgeportlet_cmd=serveAttachment&_1_WAR_feeding_knowledgeportlet_stepAttachmentId=9107&_1_WAR_feeding_knowledgeportlet_callId=6204&_1_WAR_feeding_knowledgeportlet_mvcPath=%2Fcalls%2Fview_all_steps.jsp&_1_WAR_feeding_knowledgeportlet_languageId=en_GB[permanent dead link]
- ↑ https://www.firstfoodbank.org/
- ↑ "John van Hengel, 83; Set up 1st Food Bank". Los Angeles Times. 9 October 2005.