Type of site
|Available in||Russian, Belarusian|
|Owner||TUT BY MEDIA LLC|
|Created by||Yuri Zisser|
|Alexa rank||4 (in Belarus) (December 2020)|
Abstract[change | change source]
It is a website to read about the 2020 Belarusian protests and 2020 Belarusian presidential election, more. Because of that, at the end of September 2020, the Ministry of Information of Belarus stopped the TUT.BY’s media rights for three months from October 1. The international organization Reporters Without Borders named it a cruel attack on the web portal. The USA together with more than fifty other countries and the EU asked the Belarusian government to stop such attacks.
Founder[change | change source]
Problems[change | change source]
Journalist Katsyaryna Barysevich wrote an article about the death of Raman Bandarenka in 2020. She was arrested in Minsk on November 19, 2020. On March 2, 2021, she was sentenced to a half-year in prison and got a fine for that.
On May 18, 2021, the TUT.BY office and the houses of its main people were looked for. It was a result of the just opened TUT.BY tax evasion criminal case. Since that day, the domain name was stopped working, copies of the TUT.BY website and the E-mail system of TUT.BY can't be opened. The Ministry of Information of Belarus made such punishment for "prohibited information" that the website has been having over it. One example of such information was named. It was information of BYSOL. BYSOL is a foundation that helps people who got punishments because of the 2020 Belarusian protests. At least 18 people who worked for TUT.BY were arrested on May 18, 2021.
As of May 25, 2021, 12 people were put in isolation centers, including the main editor Maryna Zolatava. As of May 25, 2021, three people, including the widow of Yuri Zisser Julia Charnyauskaya, were under a house arrest. On May 25, 2021, nine organizations (the Viasna Human Rights Centre, the Belarusian Association of Journalists, the Belarusian Helsinki Committee and others) made a statement together. They named all of 15 people political prisoners.
On July 8, 2021, a part of journalists of TUT.BY that was free made the second website Zerkalo.io. They said that this domain name is going to be used until TUT.BY can work in Belarus again. Since July 8, 2021, the website Zerkalo.io can't be opened in Belarus.
References[change | change source]
- "tut.by Competitive Analysis, Marketing Mix and Traffic". Alexa Internet. Archived from the original on 2020-12-03.
- ČTK (2020-09-29). "Běloruská vláda se snaží umlčet web Tut.by, který pravidelně informuje o protestech" (in Czech). Aktuálně.cz.
- "Kritik an Lukaschenkos Medienpolitik" (in German). Reporters Without Borders. 2020-10-06. Archived from the original on 2020-10-06. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- "Joint Statement on the Human Rights Situation in Belarus". U.S. Embassy in Belarus. 2020-10-28. Archived from the original on 2020-10-28. Retrieved 2020-10-28.
- "Сумесная заява аб сітуацыі з правамі чалавека ў Беларусі" (in Belarusian). Амбасада ЗША ў Беларусі. 2020-10-28. Archived from the original on 2020-10-28. Retrieved 2020-10-28.
- "Major Belarusian media founder dead at 59". Belsat. 2020-05-18.
- Гуштын, Адар'я (2020-11-27). "Журналиста TUT.BY Катерину Борисевич перевели в СИЗО на Володарского. Письма ей почти не доходят" (in Russian). TUT.BY. Archived from the original on 2020-11-30. Retrieved 2020-11-30.
- "Belarus journalist sentenced for report on protester's death". Associated Press. 2021-03-02. Retrieved 2021-03-04.
- "TUT.BY, «Трибуна» и еще 9 медиа, которые забанили в Беларуси, – вот как их читать" (in Russian). by.tribuna.com. 2021-05-19. Retrieved 2021-05-19.
- "Belarus raids top news site in widening crackdown". BBC News. 2021-05-18. Retrieved 2021-05-19.
- "TUT.BY: Independent Belarus media website blocked after series of raids". Euronews. 2021-05-18. Retrieved 2020-05-18.
- "Заява аб прызнанні 15 затрыманых па справе TUT.BY палітычнымі зняволенымі" (in Belarusian). Viasna Human Rights Centre. 2021-05-25. Archived from the original on 2021-05-25. Retrieved 2021-05-25.
- "«Когда независимых медиа в Беларуси становится меньше, пора запускать новые»: Команда TUT.BY запустила Zerkalo.io" (in Russian). Brestskaya Gazeta. 2021-07-08. Archived from the original on 2021-07-11. Retrieved 2021-07-13.
- "Massive crackdown on independent media throughout Belarus". Belsat. 2021-07-08. Retrieved 2021-07-08.
Literature[change | change source]
- Doroshevich, Mikhail; Sokolova, Marina (2014). "Интернет: инфраструктура, пользователи, регулирование". Belarusian Yearbook (in Russian).
- Doroshevich, Mikhail; Sokolova, Marina (2016). "Www: the limits of developing extensive infrastructure". Belarusian Yearbook (1).
- Gradushko, A. A. (2019). "Основы творческой деятельности веб-журналиста" (PDF). Belarusian State University (in Russian). Minsk: 239.
- Gradushko, A. A. (2013). Современная веб-журналистика Беларуси (PDF) (in Russian). Minsk: Belarusian State University. p. 179.
- Gradushko, A. A. (2016). Содержательная и жанровая специфика новостных интернет-порталов Республики Беларусь (in Russian). Belarusian State University. pp. 262–269.
- Klunya, V. L.; Gerasimuk, T. V. (2019). "Состояние и проблемы развития цифровой экономики в Республике Беларусь". Экономические и финансовые механизмы инновационного развития цифровой экономики (in Russian). Institute of Economy of Belarusian State University. 1: 8–11.
- Trushko, Ye. G.; Shpakovsky, Yu. F. (2018). "Анализ визуализации данных (на примере инфографики портала TUT.BY)". Journal of Belarusian State University. 4 (2): 38–43.
- Zaitsev, M. L. (2017). "Распространение контента современными медиа: тенденции и специфика" (PDF). Journal of Belarusian State University (in Russian) (2): 19–23. ISSN 2521-6783.