Media Globe Networks (88%)
20 EBU members (12%)
Euronews is a pan-European TV news channel, with headquarters in Lyon, France. Right now, it broadcasts in 13 languages. 88% of the channel is owned by Media Globe Networks, a company which belongs to Egyptian billionaire Naguib Sawiris. The other 12% belongs to a group of EBU (European Broadcasting Union) members.
History[change | change source]
CNN helped make 24-hour TV news important after the Gulf War. The European Broadcasting Union answered this with the creation of their own news channel. Euronews started broadcasting on 1 January 1993, from Lyon, in five languages (English, French, German, Spanish and Italian). The channel was special in the news market because it had no presenters or studios, just videos showing the news. The channel's most important segment is "No Comment", which shows videos with no voiceover.
Later, the channel started broadcasting in Portuguese in 1999, in Russian in 2001, in Arabic in 2008, in Turkish and in Persian in 2010, in Ukrainian in 2011, in Greek in 2012, and in Hungarian in 2013.
The channel is controlled by a company called Euronews SA. When the channel started, it belonged to 10 EBU members. Today, it belongs to 20 EBU members. Organisations which have controlled Euronews when it started are marked with an asterisk.
EBU members owning Euronews SA
Three EBU members also used to own a share in the channel, but do not anymore today. These are:
On 4 June 2008, Euronews got a new circle logo and a new slogan: "pure". This was meant to market itself as "pure news" distancing from other competing channels (BBC, CNN, etc.) in the 24-hour news market.
In February 2015, Media Globe Networks got a 53% share of Euronews SA in a deal with the company. In January 2016, the channel started a sister network called Africanews, which is aimed at an African news market, with a pan-African view. Euronews got a new logo on 17 May 2016.
NBC steps in[change | change source]
In November 2016, NBCUniversal said they wanted to buy a share in the Euronews network. They also said they would share news reports with the channel. The deal was agreed upon in February 2017, and NBC bought a 25% share.
In May 2017, Euronews went from having one TV channel with 13 audio tracks, to 10 separate TV channels and 12 websites. This is part of a ’glocal’ idea. Now, certain language editions can offer their own selections of local and global news. By doing this, the Arabic and Persian services stopped TV broadcasting, and they are now only on social media and the Euronews website. The Ukrainian service was closed because the Ukrainian government was not giving it money.
In 2018, the English Euronews channel started its first news shows with live presenters. Then, other Euronews language editions did the same and started their own presented evening news shows too.
Troubles[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "NBC verkauft seine Anteile an Euronews". DWDL.de. Retrieved 20 April 2020.
- Riding, Alan (24 February 1992). "THE MEDIA BUSINESS; European Channel Takes a Stab at CNN". The New York Times. Retrieved 12 August 2020.
- "About Euronews, corporate information". Euronews. Retrieved 12 August 2020.
- Fernández, Ángel (5 June 2008). "TVE abandona EuroNews". El Mundo (in Spanish). Retrieved 25 August 2020.
- "Turquie: TRT rompt son alliance avec Euronews". TRT Français (in French). Retrieved 25 August 2020.
- "Euronews goes pure". AIB. 5 June 2008. Retrieved 25 August 2020.
- "Euronews investor Naguib Sawiris: we will resist state interference". The Guardian. 27 February 2015.
- "Africanews is LIVE online!". Africanews. 4 January 2016. Retrieved 14 July 2020.
- "NBC News, Euronews in Talks for Strategic Partnership". Variety Media. 11 November 2016.
- Palmeri, Christopher (14 February 2017). "NBC Acquires Stake in Euronews, Taps U.S. News Chief to Lead It". Bloomberg.
- Dobbie, Anna (11 May 2017). "Euronews reinvents offering in bid to become world's first 'glocal' news brand". M&M Global. Retrieved 11 August 2020.
- Burrell, Ian (11 May 2017). "Euronews overhauls its broadcasting strategy in bid to become the unrivalled chronicler of Europe". The Drum. Retrieved 12 August 2020.
- Dziadul, Chris (22 May 2017). "Euronews closes Ukrainian service". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 12 August 2020.
- Michael P. Hill (23 May 2018). "Euronews launches 'Good Morning Europe'". NewscastStudio.
- @NewsAMorgan (3 October 2018). "Many congratulations to my Portuguese colleagues here at Euronews NBC [...]" (Tweet). Retrieved 12 August 2020 – via Twitter.
- "NBC sells stake in Euronews as focus shifts to new global TV channel". Financial Times. Retrieved 12 August 2020.
- "Мінінфарм забараніў тэлеканал «Еўраньюс». Замест яго запускаюць расійскую «Победу»" (in Belarusian). Nasha Niva. 2021-04-12. Archived from the original on 2021-04-12. Retrieved 2021-04-12. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)