|- elevation||±2,500 m (8,200 ft)|
|- location||Mediterranean Sea|
|Length||84.5 km (52.5 mi)|
|Basin size||750 km2 (290 sq mi)|
|- average||9.6 m3/s (340 cu ft/s)|
The Tech (Catalan: Tec) is a river in southeastern France, close to the French-Spanish border. It runs through a valley in the department of the Pyrénées-Orientales, in the former Roussillon. Its drainage basin is the southernmost river basin of Metropolitan France.
The river gives its name to two communes in the department: Le Tech and Arles-sur-Tech.
Geography[change | change source]
The Tech river is 84.1 kilometres (52.3 miles) long and its drainage basin has an area of approximately 721 square kilometres (278 square miles). The basin is composed of two areas that are quite different:
- An area of mountains, from the source to the town of Ceret, with forests on the mountains.
- A flat area, from Ceret to the sea. Here the river flows through the Plain de Rosillon with many farms where different crops are grown.
Tributaries[change | change source]
- Right tributaries:
- Lamanère, 15.7 kilometres (9.8 miles)
- Maureillas, 16.1 kilometres (10.0 miles)
- Tanyari, 13.3 kilometres (8.3 miles)
- Left tributaries
- Coumelade, 15 kilometres (9.3 miles)
- Riuferrer, 17.7 kilometres (11.0 miles)
- Ample, 15.7 kilometres (9.8 miles)
Cantons along the river[change | change source]
As for the cantons, the Tech has its source in the canton of Prats-de-Mollo-la-Preste, and then flows through the cantons of Arles-sur-Tech, Canton Ceret, Thuir Canton, Canton Elne and finally Argelès-sur-Mer.
Landmark[change | change source]
The Pont del Diable ("Devil's bridge") or Pont Vieux ("Old bridge") at Céret over the river Tech.
Gallery[change | change source]
Salt de Maria Valenta fall, Arles-sur-Tech
Confluence of the Coumelade and the Tech
Le Tech river, Céret
Le Pont du Diable (The Devil's bridge), Céret
References[change | change source]
- "Contexte géographique" (in French). La Vallée du Tech. Archived from the original on 6 September 2014. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "Géoportail - Le Tech" (in French). Institut national de l'information géographique et forestière (IGN). Archived from the original on 15 December 2010. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "Fiche cours d'eau - Le Tech (Y02-0400)" (in French). SANDRE - Portail national d'accès aux référentiels sur l'eau. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "hydro.eaufrance.fr (Station: Y0284060, Option: Synthèse)". Archived from the original on 2015-02-19. Retrieved 2013-07-22.