The Andy Griffith Show
|The Andy Griffith Show|
Griffith and Howard
|Created by||Sheldon Leonard|
|Theme music composer||Earle Hagen|
|Opening theme||"The Fishin' Hole"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||8|
|No. of episodes||249 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||25-26 minutes per episode without ads|
|Picture format||Black and white 1960-1965
|Original run||October 3, 1960 – April 1, 1968|
|Followed by||Mayberry R.F.D.|
|Related shows||The Danny Thomas Show
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
Cast[change | edit source]
- Andy Griffith as Sheriff Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts as Deputy Barney Fife
- Ron Howard as Andy's son Opie
- Frances Bavier as Andy's aunt and housekeeper Aunt Bee
- Elinor Donahue as Andy's girlfriend and drug store owner Ellie Walker
- Jim Nabors as garage mechanic Gomer Pyle
- Howard McNear as town barber Floyd Lawson
- Aneta Corsaut as Andy's girlfriend and Opie's schoolteacher Helen Crump
- Betty Lynn as Barney's girlfriend Thelma Lou
- Hope Summers as Aunt Bee's friend Clara Edwards
- Jack Dodson as county clerk Howard Sprague
- George Lindsey as Gomer's cousin Goober Pyle
Story[change | edit source]
The series is about a sheriff in fictional Mayberry, North Carolina, a sleepy town of goofs and eccentrics. Andy is a widower with a young son named Opie. His maiden aunt, Bee, is his housekeeper. Andy eventually gets a girlfriend named Helen. The two are the only people in town with any common sense.
Production[change | edit source]
The show aired on CBS between October 3, 1960 and April 1, 1968. Griffith, Howard, and Bavier were introduced in an episode of The Danny Thomas Show. The show transitioned to color with the sixth season. The broad, cornball comedy was toned-down and the show was allowed to touch on serious themes.
Awards[change | edit source]
Don Knotts and Frances Bavier won a combined total of six Emmy Awards. Knotts left the show at the end of its fifth black and white season.
Spinoffs[change | edit source]
The series had two spin-offs: Mayberry, RFD, a sitcom series starring Ken Berry as farmer Sam Jones, and Return to Mayberry, a made-for-TV reunion movie. Sheriff Andy and Helen married in the first episode of Mayberry RFD and left town. Jim Nabors received his own series Gomer Pyle, USMC and left The Andy Griffith Show.