The Wicker Man (1973 movie)
|The Wicker Man|
|Directed by||Robin Hardy|
|Produced by||Peter Snell|
|Written by||Anthony Shaffer|
|Distributed by||British Lion Films (UK Original)
Optimum Releasing (UK 2006)
Warner Bros. (USA)
|Release date(s)||December, 1973|
|Running time||88 minutes
The Wicker Man is a cult 1973 British horror movie, made and set in Scotland. The movie was directed by Robin Hardy and written by Anthony Shaffer. It stars Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee, Diane Cilento, Ingrid Pitt and Britt Ekland. Paul Giovanni composed the soundtrack.
The Wicker Man is generally very highly regarded by critics. Movie magazine Cinefantastique described it as "The Citizen Kane of Horror Movies", and in 2004 the magazine Total Movie named The Wicker Man the sixth greatest British movie of all time. It also won the 1978 Saturn Award for Best Horror movie. A scene from this movie was #45 on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments.
References[change | change source]
- Brown, Allan, Inside The Wicker Man: The Morbid Ingenuities, London: Macmillan, 2000. ISBN 0-283-06355-6.
- Catterall, Ali & Wells, Simon, Your Face Here: British Cult Movies Since The Sixties, Fourth Estate, 2001. ISBN 0-00-714554-3
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: The Wicker Man (1973 movie)|
- wicker-man.com An extensive fansite devoted to the movie
- The Wicker Man on IMDb
- The Wicker Man at Rotten Tomatoes
- Interview: Director Robin Hardy talks about the film to Fortean Times
- Interview with director Robin Hardy about The Wicker Man and Cowboys For Christ in MungBeing