||This article does not have any sources. (March 2012)|
There are many organizations which advocate topfreedom. Topfree Equal Rights Association (TERA) is one such organization. Go Topless Day is special day in August. In this day, women are told to go topless in public.
In the United States, each state has its own laws. New York State Supreme Court said that women can go topless in public. Later, police arrested a woman (in 2005) in New York City for walking along a street without wearing a shirt. She sued (started a court case against) the city for violating the New York State Supreme Court rule that women can go topless in public. The city finally paid her $29,000 because she was right and the police were wrong.
In two provinces in Canada (Ontario and British Columbia) women can be topless in public. However there are sometimes city laws saying women cannot be topless in city parks. Law professors say women probably can be topless in public in the other provinces, but nobody knows for sure. The question has not been decided by the Supreme (national) Court of Canada.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "NY v Santorelli". Naturist Education Foundation. July 7, 1992. http://naturisteducation.org/Toni_Egbert_Library/State_Supreme_Courts/NY_v_Santorelli/ny_v_santorelli.html. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "The People &C., Respondent, V. Ramona Santorelli and Mary Lou Schloss". New York Court of Appeals. July 7, 1992. http://www.law.cornell.edu/nyctap/I92_0160.htm. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "10 successful cases giving women the right to be topless in certain states or cities". GoTopless.org. http://www.gotopless.org/news.php?item.3.1. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- Zuckerman, Esther (June 9, 2011). "Yes, Ladies, You Can Walk Around the City Topless". Village Voice. http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/06/topless_bowery.php. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Valverde, Mariana (1999). "The Harms of Sex and the Risks of Breasts: Obscenity and Indecency in Canadian Law". Social Legal Studies 1999; (8): 181.