Avnery was a member of the Irgun as a teenager, he sat in the Knesset from 1965 to 1974 and from 1979 to 1981. He was also the owner of HaOlam HaZeh, an Israeli news magazine, from 1950 until it closed in 1993.
He was famous for crossing the lines during the Siege of Beirut to meet Yassir Arafat on 3 July 1982, the first time the Palestinian leader ever met with an Israeli. Avnery is the author of several books about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, including 1948: A Soldier’s Tale, the Bloody Road to Jerusalem (2008); Israel’s Vicious Circle (2008); and My Friend, the Enemy (1986).
References[change | change source]
- Uri Avnery biography, Knesset website.
- Uri Avnery Knesset activities Knesset website
- "Uri Avnery (Ostermann)". Knesset.gov.il. 20 December 1966. Retrieved 27 August 2011.
- Ofer Aderet, Peace Activist Uri Avnery Hospitalized in Critical Condition,' Haaretz 9 August 2018.
- "WARRIOR FOR PEACE: URI AVNERY PASSES AWAY AT 94". Jerusalem Post. 20 August 2018.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Uri Avnery.|
- Uri Avnery's official website
- Uri Avnery's weekly article
- Obama's trilateral meeting will fail – interview with Radio France Internationale in English, September 2009
- Interview with Uri Avnery Archived 2010-03-07 at the Wayback Machine Video Journalism Movement