Westboro Baptist Church
This article needs to be updated. (March 2014)
|Westboro Baptist Church|
|Theology||Primitive Baptist & Calvinist|
|Region||Topeka, Kansas, United States|
The Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) is an American unaffiliated Baptist church known for its extreme opinions and protests, especially those against gay people. The church is widely described as a hate group.
It was originally headed by Fred Phelps and consists mostly of members of his large family. In 2011, the church claimed it had about 40 members. The church is in a residential neighborhood on the west side of Topeka about three miles (5 km) west of the Kansas State Capitol. Its first public service was held on November 27, 1955.
The church has been involved in actions against gay people since at least 1991, when it sought a crackdown on homosexual activity at Gage Park six blocks northwest of the church. In addition to conducting anti-gay protests at military funerals, the organization pickets other celebrity funerals and public events that are likely to get it media attention. Protests have also been held against Jews and some protests have included WBC members stomping on the American flag.
The WBC is not affiliated with any Baptist denomination. The Baptist World Alliance and the Southern Baptist Convention (the two largest Baptist denominations) have each denounced the WBC over the years. The church describes itself as following "Primitive Baptist" and Calvinist principles.
References[change | change source]
- "You Are Still Alive: NOW Is The Time To Repent". Westboro Baptist Church. October 27, 2011. Archived from the original on January 10, 2012. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- "God Hates Fags". Westboro Baptist Church. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- Weiner, Rachel (March 18, 2010). "Westboro Baptist Church Protests Outside Obama Girls' School". The Huffington Post. Retrieved March 31, 2010.
- Mikulan, Steven (February 25, 2009). "H8ters L.A. Vacation: Fred Phelps' Antigay Baptists Come Out on Oscar Night". L.A. Weekly. Retrieved May 31, 2009.
- Melloy, Kilian (March 12, 2009). "Phelps Clan Met with Revelry and Frat Boys in Chicago". EDGE Boston. Retrieved May 31, 2009.
- Crowe, Kenneth C., II (November 14, 2009). "School Plans 'Safe' Show". Times Union. Albany, NY. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- "Westboro Baptist Church". Anti-Defamation League. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- "Hate Map KS". Southern Poverty Law Center. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- Westcott, Kathryn (May 25, 2006). "Hate Group Targeted by Lawmakers". Barre, Vermont: BBC News. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- DeLong, Katie (May 21, 2009). "Hate Group Protests at Hamilton H.S." Milwaukee: WTMJ-TV. Archived from the original on July 17, 2011. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- Lane, Ray (June 14, 2009). "Anti-Gay Hate Group Targets Seattle Churches". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- McLaughlin, Mike; Einhorn, Erin (September 27, 2009). "Kansas Hate Group Westboro Baptist Church Protest Brooklyn Synagogues". Daily News. New York. Retrieved June 20, 2010. Unknown parameter
- Williams, Reed; Young, Chris I. (March 3, 2010). "Opponents Rally against Westboro Baptist Hate Group". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Richmond, Virginia. Archived from the original on March 5, 2010. Retrieved June 20, 2010. Unknown parameter
- "Hate group protests this week". The Temple News. Philadelphia: Temple University. March 30, 2010. Archived from the original on April 6, 2010. Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- Fitzgerald, W.V. (June 16, 2010). "Interview with Westboro Baptist Church: Hate in the Name of God". DigitalJournal.com. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- John Blake (March 14, 2010). "'Most-hated', anti-gay preacher once fought for civil rights". CNN. Retrieved May 20, 2010.
- "Sermon preached by Fred Phelps". 1987. Archived from the original on December 8, 2006. Retrieved January 14, 2012.
- Jones, K. Ryan (2008), Fall from Grace (documentary)
- Wing, Nick (December 9, 2010). "Elizabeth Edwards Funeral To Be Picketed By Westboro Baptist Church". The Huffington Post.
- "Baptists Denounce Latest Westboro Stunt". Christianity Today. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "About Westboro Baptist Church". God Hates Fags. Westboro Baptist Church. Retrieved October 14, 2010.