Jump to navigation Jump to search
Welcome to another QandA column! This time I interview Yotcmdr! Lets read all about him...
- Okay: First things first, tell us about yourself, where you are from, what do you do (ie School/Work)
- Hi, I'm Yotcmdr, know in real life as Eliot. I turned 15 in september. I was born in England, in London and moved to France when I was 3. I have a brother and a sister, both younger than me. At school I'm in Seconde (in french terms) which is the fifth year of secondary school in England. I really like sport, and play golf in my free time. That's about it for me and my life!
- So, What got you involved in editing Wikipedia?
- The first time I found out you could edit Wikipedia must have been when I was 11. It was written edit at the top of the page. I clicked it and this page with weird symbols around letters came up. I was scared that I had changed something so I clicked the back button. I just forgot about it after that. I found simple Wikipedia when I was at home and went to edit an article on English wikipedia as it didn't have enough information. I also decided to change it on the French wikipedia. After that, I clicked on the link to France. That's when I saw the simple English Wikipedia Interwiki link. I created an account. I went on to the community portal, and then sport. I saw the article Polo hadn't been created, but I was up to the challenge. And there we are, that's how it all started!
- What sort of things are you most involved in, with Wikipedia?
- I really like writing articles about France. Just anything concerning the country, the literature, the famous authors, and of course the communes of France. I have written hundreds of them, but there are so many! I have written most of the French departments too! I have also significantly contributed to the article about France, which is now a Good article.
- What do you like the most about Wikipedia?
- I really like the editing bit of wikipedia. It's great, you get to know about lots of interessting things, through the DYK process. But most of all, I like the fun part of wikipedia, the talking, the Wikicup and Simple News of course!
- What do you like the least about Wikipedia?
- I really don't like vandals, they ruin the encyclopedia. Don't they have anything better to do? It makes so much more work. In fact, it represents over 10% of my edits! I also don't like having to oppose an RFA or a new idea, and make the person behind the screen sad.
- What do you get up to on the internet, other than Wikipedia?
- I use MSN a lot, I have a Facebook profile, a Youtube account, and I'm participating in the "Virtual Vendée Globe" boat race. I also leave comments on blogs but don't have one myself.
- Now is your chance to plug something of yours on Wikipedia, a favourite edit, something you have done that you are proud of or even off-wiki that you would like to mention?
- Well I'm completly bilingual, I speak English and French perfectly. This has helped me to promote the France article to good article status!