William Jay Smith
|William Jay Smith|
22 April 1918|
Winnfield, Louisiana, USA
|Died||18 August 2015
Lenox, Massachusetts, USA
|Alma mater||Washington University in St. Louis
William Jay Smith (22 April 1918 – 18 August 2015) was an American poet. He was the 19th Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress from 1968 to 1970.
Smith married Barbara Howes in 1947. They had two children. Howes and Smith divorced during the mid-1960s. As of 2008, he lived in two houses, one in Cummington, Massachusetts and the other in Paris.
Smith died in Lenox, Massachusetts at the age of 97.
References[change | change source]
- "Poet Laureate Timeline: 1961–1970". Library of Congress. 2008. http://www.loc.gov/poetry/laureate-1961-1970.html. Retrieved 2008-12-19.
- "William Jay Williams". Amherst.edu. http://www.amherst.edu/aboutamherst/news/news_releases/2008/10/node/66657. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
Other websites[change | change source]
- "The CPR Interview: William Jay Smith", The Contemporary Poetry Review
- The William Jay Smith Papers at Washington University in St. Louis
- "William Jay Smith", 2004 National Book Festival