From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1450s 1460s 1470s – 1480s – 1490s 1500s 1510s|
|Years:||1477 1478 1479 – 1480 – 1481 1482 1483|
Events[change | edit source]
- March 6 – Treaty of Toledo – Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain recognize African conquests of Afonso of Portugal and he cedes the Canary Islands to Spain
- Great standing on the Ugra river – Muscovy becomes independent from the Golden Horde and Moscow becomes the capital of Russia.
- Ludovico Sforza becomes Regent of Milan (reigns until 1499)
- Concorts and co-rulers Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella of Castile initiate the Spanish Inquisition (looking for heretics in converted Jews)
- Leonardo da Vinci invents the parachute
- Mohamed II fails in his attempt to capture Rhodes from the Knights of Rhodes
- Magdalen College School, Oxford starts.
- The Inca Empire conquers northwest Argentina.
Births[change | edit source]
- Ferdinand Magellan, Portuguese explorer who was the first to sail around the world.
- Pier Gerlofs Donia, a huge pirate who fought for the independence of Friesland.
- Pir Sultan Abdal, Turkish poet.
- Peter Henlein, German inventor who may have first invented the watch.
Deaths[change | edit source]
- Antonio Squarcialupi, Italian composer