From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||16th century – 17th century – 18th century|
|Decades:||1620s 1630s 1640s – 1650s – 1660s 1670s 1680s|
|Years:||1652 1653 1654 – 1655 – 1656 1657 1658|
Events[change | edit source]
- March 25 – Saturn's largest moon, Titan, is discovered by Christian Huygens.
- April 7 – Fabio Chigi becomes Pope Alexander VII
- April – Admiral Robert Blake severely damages the arsenal of the Bey of Tunis.
- May 7 Pope Alexander VII is chosen to be pope.
- May 10 – English troops land on Jamaica
- August 9 – Oliver Cromwell divides England into districts under major-generals
- New Sweden (Delaware) attacked and captured by Dutch forces.
- The Bibliotheca Thysiana is erected, the only surviving 17th century example in the Netherlands of a building that was designed as a library.
- Emperor Go-Sai ascends to the throne of Japan