From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1750s 1760s 1770s – 1780s – 1790s 1800s 1810s|
|Years:||1784 1785 1786 – 1787 – 1788 1789 1790|
Events[change | edit source]
- May 13 – Captain Arthur Phillip leaves Portsmouth, England with the First Fleet, 11 ships full of convicts to establish a penal colony in Australia.
- August 16 – Lieutenant William Bligh takes command of the HMVA Bounty.
- December 23 – The HMVA Bounty is sent to Tahiti to collect breadfruit plants.
- Date unknown
- The Pennsylvania Prison Society is started.
Births[change | edit source]
- March 16 – Georg Ohm, German physicist
- December 10 – Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, founder of the American School for the Deaf