90482 Orcus, originally known by the provisional designation 2004 DW) is a Kuiper belt object (KBO) and could be a dwarf planet. It was found by Michael Brown, Chad Trujillo and David Rabinowitz on February 17, 2004. It was also seen in pictures from November 8, 1951.
Moon[change | edit source]
The satellite was found at 0.25 arcsec from Orcus with magnitude difference of 2.7. Assuming an albedo similar to that of the primary, the magnitude suggests a diameter of about 220 km. It is thought to be a smaller KBO that was captured.
Other websites[change | edit source]
- MPEC 2004-D09 announcing the discovery but attributing it to Raymond J. Bambery, Steven H. Pravdo, Michael D. Hicks, Kenneth J. Lawrence, Daniel MacDonald, Eleanor F. Helin and Robert Thicksten / NEAT
- MPEC 2004-D13 correcting MPEC 2004-D09
- Chad Trujillo's page on 2004 DW
- First BBC article
- First New Scientist article
- Updated orbital elements from Lowell Observatory
- AstDys orbital elements
- Orbital simulation from JPL (Java) / Ephemeris
References[change | edit source]
- Buie, Marc W. (2007-12-22). "Orbit Fit and Astrometric record for 90482". SwRI (Space Science Department). Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~buie/kbo/astrom/90482.html. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- Stansberry, J.; Grundy, W.; Brown, M.; et al. (2007). Physical Properties of Kuiper Belt and Centaur Objects: Constraints from Spitzer Space Telescope. http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0702538v1.
- "Overlooked dwarf planet candidates". BBC. 2008-02-19. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A32537720. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Tegler, Stephen C. (2006-01-26). "Kuiper Belt Object Magnitudes and Surface Colors". Archived from the original on 2007-11-16. http://www.physics.nau.edu/~tegler/research/survey.htm. Retrieved 2006-11-05.
- "HORIZONS Web-Interface". JPL Solar System Dynamics. Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi?find_body=1&body_group=sb&sstr=Orcus. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "JPL Small-Body Database Browser: 90482 Orcus (2004 DW)". 2008-02-10 last obs. Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=Orcus. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- (90482) Orcus and Vanth Archived 8 February 2012 at WebCite
- Distant EKO The Kuiper Belt Electronic newsletter, March 2007