|Location||Attabad, Hunza, Pakistan|
|Primary inflows||Hunza River, 2800 cusecs (26 May 2010)|
|Primary outflows||Hunza River overflowing landslide dam, 3700 cusecs (4 June2010)|
|Max. length||13 miles (21 km)|
|Max. depth||358 feet (109 m)|
|Water volume||0.33 million acre feet (26 May 2010)|
Attabad Lake is a lake in Hunza Valley in northern Pakistan. The lake was created by a landslide which happened in the village of Attabad on 4th January 2010. Sometimes the lake is called Gojal Lake. The landslide killed twenty people. It buried and inundated the Karakoram Highway and blocked the flow of the Hunza River for five months. The lake flooding has forced 6,000 people to move from upstream villages, stranded (from land transportation routes) a further 25,000, It inundated over 12 miles (19 km) of the Karakoram Highway. The lake reached 13 miles (21 km) long and over 100 meters in depth by the first week of June 2010. At that time, it flowed over the landslide dam, completely submerging lower Shishkat and partly flooded Gulmit. The subdivision of Gojal has the greatest number of flooded buildings, over 170 houses and 120 shops. The residents also had shortages of food and other items due to the blockage of the Karakoram Highway. By June 4 water outflow from the lake had increased to 3700 cusecs.
References[change | edit source]
- Shabbir Ahmed Mir (26 May 2010). "Attabad lake swallows Shishkat". The Express Tribune. http://tribune.com.pk/story/16251/attabad-lake-swallows-shishkat/. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- "Surging water destroys banks of Atta Abad Lake". The News International. 2140 PST, Monday, May 17, 2010. http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=104943. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- Siddiqi, Tanvir (24 May 2010). "Attabad Lake submerges more homes". PakObserver. http://pakobserver.net/detailnews.asp?id=32339. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- "Attabad Lake victims end protest after talks". The Nation. 22 May 2010. http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Regional/Islamabad/22-May-2010/Attabad-Lake-victims-end-protest-after-talks. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- Water level rising in Attabad lake
- Hunza Blog by Professor Dave Petley, Durham University, England