Carl Adolph Agardh
|Carl Adolph Agardh|
From the Swedish journal Svenska Familj-Journalen
|Born||13 January 1785
|Died||28 January 1859
|Alma mater||Lund University|
|Known for||Systema algarum|
|Author abbreviation (botany)||C.Agardh|
Biography[change | change source]
In 1807, Agardh became a teacher of mathematics at Lund. In 1812, he was appointed professor of botany and rural economy. He was elected a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 1817, and of the Swedish Academy in 1831.
Agardh became a Lutheran clergyman in 1816. He was a member of the Swedish Parliament on several occasions from 1817. He was rector magnificus of Lund University from 1819 to 1820. In 1835 he became the bishop of Karlstad, where he remained until his death. He died on 28 January 1859 in Karlstad.
Publications[change | change source]
Agardh devoted considerable attention to political economy. As "a leading liberal", he "succeeded in improving and raising the standards of education in Sweden". He wrote on theological and other subjects, but he is best known for his botanical works, especially Systema algarum, Species algarum rite cognitae, and Icones Algarum (1824, 1820–28, and 1828–35). He translated into German most of his Manual of Botany (2 vols., Malmoe, 1829–32)
Some of his works[change | change source]
- Algarum decas prima [-quarta] /auctore Carolo Ad. Agardh
- Dispositio algarum Sueciae /cuctore Carolo Adolfo Agardh
- Caroli A. Agardh Synopsis algarum Scandinaviae : adjecta dispositione universali algarum
- Aphorismi botanici.
- Classes plantarum (with Holmberg, L. P. and Lundstrom, Petrus M.)
- Adnotationes botanicae (with Swartz, Olof, Sprengel, Kurt Polycarp Joachim, and Wikström, Joh. Em)
- Synopsis algarum Scandinaviae (Lund 1817)
- Species algarum rite cognitae etc. (Greifsw. 1823-28, 2 Voll.)
- Icones algarum europaearum (Leipz. 1828-35)
- Systema algarum (Lund 1824)
- Essai de réduire la physlologie végétale à des principes fondamentaux (Lund 1828)
- Essai sur le développement intérieur des plantes (1829)
- Lärobok i botanik (Malmö 1830-32, 2 Voll.)
- Försök till en statsökonomisk statistik öfver Sverige (Stockh. 1852-63, 4 Voll.)
Family[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Agardh" (in French). Imago Mundi - Encyclopédie gratuite en ligne. http://www.cosmovisions.com/Agardh.htm. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Agardh, Karl Adolf". The new international encyclopaedia (archive). 2005. pp. 191. http://archive.org/stream/newinternational01gilm#page/191/mode/1up. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Eriksson, Gunnar (1970). "Agardh, Carl Adolph". Dictionary of Scientific Biography 1. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons. 69–70.
- "Karl Adolph Agardh". New International Encyclopedia. (1905).
- Brummitt, R. K.; C. E. Powell (1992). Authors of Plant Names. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. ISBN 1-84246-085-4.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Carl Adolph Agardh|
|Wikispecies has information on: Carl Adolph Agardh.|