Photo in 1973
|Birth name||Donald Jay Rickles|
|Born||May 8, 1926
Queens, New York, U.S.
|Medium||Stand-up, Television, Movie|
|Genres||Improvisational comedy, Observational comedy, Musical comedy, Insult comedy|
|Subject(s)||United States culture, Racism, Self-deprecation, Everyday life, Religion, Current events|
|Influenced||Jay Leno, David Letterman, Howard Stern, Russell Peters, Dave Attell, Lisa Lampanelli Jerry Seinfeld, Norm Macdonald, Larry the Cable Guy|
|Spouse||Barbara Sklar (1965–present) (2 children)|
|Notable works and roles||Hello Dummy!
Q M 1/C Ruby in Run Silent, Run Deep
Sgt. Crapgame in Kelly's Heroes
Billy Sherbert in Casino
Mr. Potato Head in the Toy Story franchise
Donald Jay "Don" Rickles (born May 8, 1926) is an American comedian and actor. He is known for his role as Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story, Toy Story 2, and Toy Story 3. He is also known for being a multiple guest star in The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, and in The Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts.
Early life [change]
Rickles was born in Queens, New York on May 8, 1926 to Max Rickles, who immigrated to the United States in 1902, and to Etta (née Feldman), who was from New York City. Rickles' parents were from a Jewish ancestry. Rickles was educated at American Academy of Dramatic Arts.
Rickles' career began in 1958 in the movie Run, Silent, Run Deep. Since then Rickles has appeared in movies such as Casino, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Denice the Menace Strikes Again, Toy Story 3, Zookeeper, Toy Story 3, and Small Fry.
Influences and influenced [change]
Rickles' only influence was Milton Berle. Rickles and Berle appeared in The Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts. Rickles influenced Jay Leno, David Letterman, Dana Snyder, Howard Stern, Russell Peters, Dave Attell, Lisa Lampanelli, Jerry Seinfeld, Norm Mcdonald, and Larry the Cable Guy.
Personal life [change]
Rickles has been married to Barbara Sklar since 1965. They had two children; Larry Rickles (who died in 2011), and Mindy. Rickles also has 2 grandchildren who enjoy his role of Mr. Potato Head more than any other role Rickles ever had. Rickles currently lives in Los Angeles, California. He is a lifelong supporter for the Democratic Party.
Some movies he was in [change]
- The Rat Race (1960)
- Pajama Party (1964)
- Kelly's Heroes (1970)
- Innocent Blood (1992)
- Toy Story (1995)
- Dirty Work (1998)
- Dennis the Menace Strikes Again (1998)
- Toy Story 2 (1999)
- The Last Laugh (2006) (documentary)
- Toy Story 3 (2010)
- Zookeeper (2011)
- Small Fry (2011) (short movie)
- Rickles' Book: A Memoir by Don Rickles and David Ritz (2007)
- Rickles' Letters by Don Rickles and David Ritz (2008)
- Hello Dummy! (1968)
- Don Rickles Speaks! (1969)
- Gauntlet Entertainment – Comedy Preview: Russell Peters won't a hurt you real bad – 2005-11-24
- Insomniac's Dave Attell, Pt. 1 | Cracked.com
- Reno/Tahoe – Look out: Here comes Lisa Lampanelli – sacbee.com
- "Don Rickles Biography (1926-)". Filmreference.com. http://www.filmreference.com/film/97/Don-Rickles.html. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Time Magazine Interview: Don Rickles", from Time Magazine
Other websites [change]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Don Rickles|