|Birth name||Reginald Kenneth Dwight|
|Born||25 March 1947
Pinner, Middlesex, UK
|Genres||Rock, glam rock, progressive rock, soft rock|
|Occupations||Composer, musician, singer|
Sir Elton Hercules John CBE (birth name Reginald Kenneth Dwight, born 25 March 1947 in Pinner, Middlesex, England) is a British rock musician. He started his music career immediately after leaving school. Elton John was the biggest music star in the 1970s.
John became famous in the early 1970s when he and songwriter Bernie Taupin wrote several songs which he performed and recorded. John became a huge star, not only for his musical abilities, but for his stage personality. He also composed several musicals and the music for the films The Lion King (1994) and The Road to El Dorado 2000) and is active in charity work. In remembrance of Diana, Princess of Wales, John released an altered version of his hit Candle in the Wind in 1997, originally written about Marilyn Monroe. This went on to become the world's biggest selling single of all time with 37 million copies sold within 2 months.[source?] In 2005 John entered a civil partnership with David Furnish, after 12 years together.
- London Gazette: , 11 January 1972.
- "New year honours". BBC News (The British Broadcasting Corporation). 1997-12-31. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/for_christmas/_new_year/new_year_honours/43509.stm. Retrieved 08-07-2009. "KNIGHTS BACHELOR ...Elton Hercules John, CBE. Musician and Composer. For services to Music and for charitable services."
- "Elton John's biography on eltonjohn.com". http://www.eltonjohn.com/about/bio.jsp. Retrieved 08-07-2009.
- "A biography of Elton John". http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/singerUnid/E98916284BE40C2F48256876001FCECF. Retrieved 08-07-2009.
- Briggs, Caroline (21 December 2005). "Sir Elton celebrates his big day". BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4549626.stm. Retrieved 1 February 2011.