Federated States of Micronesia
|Federated States of Micronesia|
|Motto: Peace Unity Liberty|
"Patriots of Micronesia"
(national; local languages are used at state and municipal levels)
|Ethnic groups (2000)||Chuukese 48.8%
Yap outer islands 4.5%
|Government||Federated presidential Democratic republic|
|-||Vice President||Alik L. Alik|
|-||from U.S.-administered UN Trusteeship||November 3, 1986|
|-||Total||702 km2 (188th)
271 sq mi
|-||2009 estimate||111,000 (181st)|
|GDP (PPP)||2009 estimate|
|-||Total||$341 million (176th)|
|-||Per capita||$2,664 (117th)|
|HDI (2010)||0.614 (medium) (103rd)|
|Currency||United States dollar (
|Time zone||(UTC+10 and +11)|
|-||Summer (DST)||not observed (UTC+10 and +11)|
|Drives on the||right|
|1||GDP is supplemented by grant aid, averaging around $100 million annually (2002 estimate).|
Micronesia, officially the Federated States of Micronesia, is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean, northeast of Papua New Guinea. The country is a sovereign state in free association with the United States. The capital city of Federated States of Micronesia is Palikir.
The Federated States of Micronesia were formerly part of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, a United Nations Trust Territory under US administration. In 1979 they adopted a constitution, and in 1986 independence was attained under a Compact of Free Association with the United States. Present concerns include large-scale unemployment, overfishing, and overdependence on U.S. aid.
The Federated States of Micronesia are in the region known as Micronesia, which consists of hundreds of small islands divided in seven territories. The term Micronesia may refer to the Federated States or to the region as a whole. This area is in Oceania.
- Federated States of Micronesia national football team
- List of rivers of the Federated States of Micronesia
- Micronesia at the Olympics
- Department of Economic and Social Affairs Population Division (2009) (.PDF). World Population Prospects, Table A.1. 2008 revision. United Nations. http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/wpp2008/wpp2008_text_tables.pdf. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Human Development Report 2010". United Nations. 2010. http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2010_EN_Table1.pdf. Retrieved 2010-11-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Federated States of Micronesia|