A folk hero is a person, who may or may not have existed, and is famous and well liked by people, or people of a certain country. Usually it is someone who helped the common people or fought against the authorities, such as a bad king. People tells stories about folk heroes, most of their stories have been passed down orally, and changed to fit the situations. They usually have a special skill or trait of some sort (Paul Bunyan is very tall).
Some famous folk heroes are:
- Robin Hood (England), who stole from the rich and gave it to the poor people
- William Tell (Switzerland), who killed a tyrant (a lord terrorizing the people)
- Carmine Crocco (Italy), controversial figure of the Italian unification but considered by many a folk hero
- Johnny Appleseed
- Natty Bumpo or Hawkeye (not to be confused with the characters from Marvel comics or M*A*S*H)
- Paul Bunyan
- John Henry
- Pecos Bill
- Davy Crockett
- Paul Revere
- Qutb Shah, supposed Arab-Afghan who conquered large parts of Northern India and sired many tribes.