Gerard Way performing with My Chemical Romance at the Big Day Out festival in 2012
|Birth name||Gerard Arthur Way|
|Born||April 9, 1977
Summit, New Jersey, U.S.
|Origin||Belleville, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Genres||Post-hardcore, pop punk, emo, punk rock, alternative rock|
|Occupations||Musician, comic book writer, Executive Producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, guitar, bass guitar, keyboard|
|Labels||Reprise, Warner Bros., Eyeball|
|Associated acts||Deadmau5, My Chemical Romance|
Gerard Arthur Way (born April 9, 1977) is an American musician and comic book writer. Way was the lead singer and co-founder of the punk rock band My Chemical Romance. His brother Mikey was the bass player for the band. Way played for the band from their start in September 2001 until they broke up on March 22, 2013. Way is known for commonly changing hair color from black to blonde and even a striking red. Gerard married Lyn Z of Mindless Self Indulgence on September 3rd 2007. He and Lyn Z announced that they were having a baby in November of 2008. Their daughter, Bandit Lee Way, was born on May 27, 2009. She arrived at 2:57 PM and weighed 6 pounds and 5.6 ounces. Gerard has said that both Bandit and Lyn Z are "happy and healthy". Way is also the writer of the comic book series "The Umbrella Academy".
Before My Chemical Romance[change | change source]
He was born on April 9, 1977 in Summit, New Jersey. Way attended the School of Visual Arts in New York City and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1999. As a child, Way grew up in a dangerous neighborhood where crimes happened often. He said that he was not allowed to play outside much when he was younger. In place of that, he had to stay indoors. While not being able to play in the park, he created his own imaginary world in his head. This led to his love for artwork. Gerard hoped to one day be a comic book artist. Before the attack on 9/11, Way was working on his cartoon The Breakfast Monkey. He wanted it to be shown on Cartoon Network. The cartoon was rejected because it was very similar to the series Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
References[change | change source]
- "My Chemical Romance". My Chemical Romance. http://www.mychemicalromance.com/node/2745481. Retrieved 2015-2-7.
- "MCR: Gerard ties the knot". Kerrang Magazine. http://www2.kerrang.com/2007/09/mcr_gerard_ties_the_knot.html. Retrieved 2015-2-7.
- "The debut comic by My Chemical Romance's frontman". Entertainment Weekly. http://www.ew.com/article/2007/06/25/debut-comic-my-chemical-romances-frontman?cnn=yes. Retrieved 2015-2-7.
- "Superhero Stylings From Stars of Pop". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/20/books/20comi.html?_r=0. Retrieved 2015-2-7.
- "Future of Music: Gerard Way". Rolling Stone. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/future-of-music-gerard-way-20071115. Retrieved 2015-2-7.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Gerard Way|