Lufthansa is the largest airline in Germany, and the second largest in Europe. Some of Lufthansa's hubs are Frankfurt am Main and Munich, A hub is an airport where people who fly from one city to a second city can transfer or change airplanes.
Lufthansa buys airplanes from Boeing and Airbus. Lufthansa has big airplanes for flights to North America, Asia, and Africa. These flights are called long-haul flights because they are between cities that are far apart from each other. Lufthansa also has small airplanes for flights in Europe. These flights are called short-haul flights.
Lufthansa is a member of the Star Alliance which means it is a partner with other airlines like United Airlines and Air Canada. Members of the Star Alliance cooperate or work together to schedule their flights better so that travelling is easier for passengers or people.
The name of Lufthansa's frequent flyer program is Miles and More. People earn points for flights they travel on. When they have enough points, they can get a free flight. Lufthansa has Miles and More to encourage people to fly with Lufthansa.
Many regional flights are operated Lufthansa Regional with Lufthansa CityLine, Eurowings and Air Dolomiti.
Fleet[change | change source]
Lufthansa uses these aeroplanes:
|Airbus A340-300||28||266 (44/222)
|Airbus A340-600 ||24||306 (8/60/238)|
|Being phased out|
|Boeing 737-500||9||123||Being phased out|
|Boeing 747-400||20||330 (16/80/234)
|Boeing 747-8 ||9
|New Deliveries: 5 in 2014, 5 in 2015|
|Not known||Deliveries in 2020|
Regional fleet[change | change source]
|Aircraft type||Lufthansa CityLine||Orders||Air Dolomiti||Orders||Eurowings
(on behalf of Germanwings)
*= being phased out, Status: November 2014
Route examples[change | change source]
- Lufthansa CityLine: from Frankfurt and Munich intra-German, partly intra-European (for example: Dresden, Bremen and Belgrade)
- Air Dolomiti: Frankfurt to Verona, from Munich to Ancona, Bologna, Catania, Genoa, Milan, Palermo, Pisa, Rome, Trieste, Turin, Zurich, seasonal Cagliari
- Eurowings: intra-German and intra-European flights on behalf of Germanwings or Lufthansa Regional
References[change | change source]
- "About Lufthansa Airlines". yatra.com. http://www.yatra.com/international/YT/airlines/lufthansa-airlines.html. Retrieved 2008-10-26.
- Brandt, Nadja; Julie Cruz (30-07-2009). "BASF, Continental AG, Lufthansa, Siemens: German Equity Preview". http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601100&sid=aMWb2efUqDPg. Retrieved 05-08-2009.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Lufthansa|