|— Comune —|
|Comune di Orbetello|
|Frazioni||Albinia, Ansedonia, Fonteblanda, Giannella, Talamone|
|• Mayor||Altero Matteoli (since 2006-05-29)|
|• Total||226.98 km2 (87.64 sq mi)|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|• Density||65.847/km2 (170.543/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postal code||58010, 58015|
|Patron saint||Saint Blaise|
|Saint day||february 3|
In the Middle Ages it was controlled by the Aldobrandeschi family, who held it until the 14th century, when it was bought by the city of Orvieto. After some years, Orbetello was captured by the Sienese Republic. In the mid-16th century it was part of the Spanish puppet State of Presides, becoming its capital. Later it was under the Grand Duchy of Tuscany and, from the late 19th century, the new Kingdom of Italy.
Important monuments and places [change]
- The city walls (5th century BC).
- Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, built over an Etruscan-Roman temple and half re-built in 1375.
- The Spanish Forte delle Saline, in the frazione of Albinia.
- Remains of the Roman city of Cosa in the frazione of Ansedonia.
- Ruins of the Monastery of Sant'Angelo.