In music, an organ is a keyboard instrument which makes sound by forcing air through pipes. They are common instruments in churches, and sometimes appear in theatres, especially older movie theatres or cinemas. A person who plays the organ is called an organist.
Types of organs:
- Pipe organ - the oldest type, sometimes powered by foot pedals
- Water organ - similar to a pipe organ, but powered by water flow
- Mechanical organ - powered by a ; may include a street organ or barrel organ (these types are sometimes called hurdy gurdies, but this is not accurate), or fairground organ
- Electric organ - a later type, which uses an electric motor to move air
- Electronic organ - the newest type, which uses electronics to simulate the sound of a pipe or electric organ