The Host (novel)
|Genre(s)||Science Fiction, Romance novel|
|Publisher||Little, Brown & Company (Adult)|
|Release date||May 6, 2008|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
Story[change | edit source]
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that takes over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.
Wanderer, the invading ‘soul’ who has been given Melanie’s body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn’t expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
Melanie fills Wanderer’s thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves – Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body’s desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she’s never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.
Characters[change | edit source]
The characters in the book include:
- Wanderer (Wanda) - An alien "soul" who is placed in the body of Melanie Stryder.
- Melanie Stryder - Wanderer's strong-minded host.
- Jared Howe - Melanie's true love.
- Ian O'Shea - A surviving human who falls in love with Wanderer.
- Jeb - Melanie's uncle, who owns the caverns that hide the human rebels. He is generally good-natured and relaxed, but is really a very perceptive man.
- Jamie - Melanie's younger brother who also develops a friendly relationship with Wanda.
- Kyle O'Shea - Ian O'Shea's brother who tries to murder Wanda several times during the novel
- Doc - the doctor who is among the rebel humans who is very compassionate and caring. His real name is Eustace
References[change | edit source]
- Michael Fleming (2009-09-22). "Producers acquire Meyer's 'Host'". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118008985.html?categoryid=13&cs=1. Retrieved 2009-09-23.