Vauxhall Bridge is a steel and granite bridge in central London. It crosses the River Thames in a north-west south-east direction between Vauxhall on the south bank and Westminster on the north bank.
Vauzhall Bridge in 1906. It replaced an earlier bridge as part of a program for redeveloping the south bank of the Thames. The original bridge was itself built on the site of a former ferry.
The building of both bridges was difficult, with both the first and second bridges needing multiple redesigns from multiple architects. The original bridge, the first iron bridge over the Thames, was built by a private company and was run as a toll bridge before being taken into public ownership in 1879. The second bridge, which took eight years to build, was the first in London to carry trams and later one of the first two roads in London to have a bus lane.
The present bridge is most significant for road traffic across the Thames.
In June 2012, the bridge was highlighted on the route of Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee Pageant on the Thames.
Related pages [change]
Further reading [change]
- Carpenter, David (2003), The Struggle for Mastery, Oxford University Press US, ISBN 0 19 522000 5, OCLC 52594503
- Cookson, Brian (2006), Crossing the River, Edinburgh: Mainstream, ISBN 1 840189 76 2, OCLC 63400905
- De Maré, Eric (1954), Bridges of Britain (2nd (1975) ed.), London: Batsford, ISBN 0 713429 25 9, OCLC 255670618
- Jeremiah, David (2000), Architecture and Design for the Family in Britain 1900–70, Manchester: Manchester University Press, ISBN 0 719058 89 9, OCLC 186445752
- Matthews, Peter (2008), London's Bridges, Oxford: Shire, ISBN 978 0 7478 0679 0, OCLC 213309491
- Murray, Peter; Stevens, Mary Anne; Cadman, David (1996), Living Bridges: the inhabited bridge, past, present and future, London: Royal Academy of Arts, ISBN 3 791317 34 2, OCLC 36113250
- Sir Alec Skempton, ed. (2002), Biographical Directory of Civil Engineers, 1, London: Thomas Telford, ISBN 0 72 772939 X
- Timbs, John (1855), Curiosities of London, London: David Bogue, OCLC 3807583
Other websites [change]