A website is a set of webpages that are joined together. People look at websites with a computer of some kind, sometimes including the computer inside mobile telephones and televisions. The websites are kept on computers called web servers.
Structure[change | change source]
Homepage[change | change source]
There is almost always a single homepage which has links to other pages that are part of that "site". Sometimes it has links to pages that are part of other "sites" as well. (Note that net jargon uses the word site, which also means a physical place in the real world, to mean a web URL).
Uses[change | change source]
Websites can be used to advertise or sell things. They can also be used to talk to other people. A blog is a website where the location of the material is less relevant than who writes it, and which is more focused on dialogue. Very often the people who use blogs dislike the word "site" since it implies a controlled place. Sites are good for looking up information on the computer.
Types of websites[change | change source]
- Weblog (or also known as blog)
- Wiki (A website where anyone can edit the pages)
- Content Management System (An internet software that can edit web pages through a WYSIWYG editor)
- Search engine (A website like Google, which you can use to search the web)
- Social networking sites (Like Facebook, which allows you to interact with friends)
Access[change | change source]
Users can access any website by using a URL. This is the website address which is shown near the top of the web browser. The homepage and the rest of the site usually have the same words at the start of the URL - for instance, pages at the Simple English Wikipedia always start "http://simple.wikipedia.org/..." but are different after that.
Appearance[change | change source]
Website builder software[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Peri Pakroo; Marcia Stewart, Small Business Start-Up Kit, The: A Step-by-Step Legal Guide (Berkeley, CA: Nolo, 2014), p. 251
|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: web site.|