|Type||Video game console|
|Release date||November 18, 2012|
|Media||Wii U disc
|Controller input||Wii U GamePad|
The Wii U (/ /) is a video game console that was released by Nintendo on November 18, 2012, and comes after the Wii. The video game machine, or console, was first shown in Nintendo's press conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2011 on June 7, 2011, and was released for sale on November 18, 2012 in North America; November 30, 2012 in Europe and Australia; and December 8, 2012 in Japan. The machine has been described as a part of the eighth generation of video game machines.
The Wii U is Nintendo's sixth home video game machine and the first Nintendo video game machine, or console, to have 1080p HD graphics, and has a new controller with a touchscreen, which allows a player to continue playing a game by showing the game even when the television is off. Wii games will work on the Wii U, and Wii U games can be played with Wii controllers and extras, such as the Wii Remote, Wii MotionPlus, Wii Balance Board, and the Classic Controller. It also has a controller shaped like the Xbox 360 controller, for the hardcore gamers. Nintendo GameCube games or controllers do not work on the Wii U. Like on the Wii and Nintendo 3DS, players can create Miis. It is also rumored that a new Zelda game is going to be released for the Wii U. 
References[change | change source]
- "'Wii 2' Codenamed 'Project Café'". IGN. 2011-04-15. http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1162045p1.html. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/888470-wii-u-confirmed-for-europe-this-year Wii U confirmed for Europe this year
- "Nintendo's New Wii U Wows at E3, and Changes Gaming Forever…". Singularity Hub. http://singularityhub.com/2011/06/07/nintendos-new-wii-u-wows-at-e3-and-changes-gaming-forever-again/. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "New Nintendo Console to Have Straight-Forward Name". games.on.net. http://games.on.net/article/12749/Rumour_New_Nintendo_Console_to_Have_Straight-Forward_Name. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Nintendo's Project Cafe: Will Gamers Feel The Buzz?". Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/nintendos-project-cafe-will-gamers-feel-the-buzz-2011-5. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Weekend Hot Topic, Part 2: Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4". Metro.co.uk. http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/864607-weekend-hot-topic-part-2-xbox-720-and-playstation-4. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "E3 2011: Pas de jeux GameCube sur Wii U" (in French). Gamekult. 2011-06-09. http://www.gamekult.com/actu/e3-2011-pas-de-jeux-gamecube-sur-wii-u-A0000093568.html. Retrieved 2011-06-10.