History of video game consoles (eighth generation)
|Part of a series on:|
|History of video games|
The eighth generation of video game consoles began in 2012 and is the current video game console generation. The eighth generation began with the release of Wii U. The PlayStation 4 was announced on February 20, 2013. It is expected to be released at the end of 2013. Microsoft announced the Xbox One on May 21, 2013. It is expected to be released at the end of 2013. For handheld game consoles, the generation began in February 2011. The first handheld was the Nintendo 3DS. The PlayStation Vita was released in December 2011 in Japan. It was available for the Western countries in February 2012.
It is believed by the video game media that the eighth generation will be competing from the smartphone, tablet, and Smart TV gaming markets. Because of this, some analysts believe the eight generation will be the last generation of home consoles. Other consoles such as the NVIDIA Shield, Steam Box, Ouya and GameStick are attempting to compete in this market.
Systems[change | change source]
Comparison[change | change source]
|Name||Wii U||PlayStation 4||Xbox One|
|Console||Console design is yet to be revealed|
||Q4 2013||Q4 2013|
|Launch prices||Basic Model
|Units shipped||Worldwide: 3.45 million (as of 31 March 2013)||N/A||N/A|
|Best-selling game||Nintendo Land, 2.6 million units (as of 31 March 2013)||N/A||N/A|
|Media||Wii U Optical Disc @ 22.5MB/s
25 GB (single layer)
|Blu-ray, DVD||Blu-ray, DVD|
|CPU||Tri-Core IBM PowerPC "Espresso"||Octa-Core AMD "Jaguar"||Octa-Core AMD|
|GPU||AMD Radeon "Latte" GPGPU @ 550 MHz||Custom AMD Radeon, architecture and performance similar to a Radeon 7870 @ 800MHz||Custom AMD Radeon, architecture and performance similar to a Radeon 7790 @ 800MHz|
|Memory||2 GB DDR3 RAM
(1 GB available for games / 1 GB available for system)
|8 GB GDDR5 RAM
(7 GB available for games / 1 GB available for system)
|8 GB DDR3 RAM
(5 GB available for games / 3 GB available for system)
|Storage||8 GB (Basic), 32 GB (Deluxe/Premium) flash memory
Supports up to 32 GB SDHC memory cards and up to 2 TB USB hard disk drives
|HDD with unconfirmed capacity||500 GB HDD|
† Resolutions other than 576i and 480i available via HDMI and YPBPR only.
† Resolutions other than 576i and 480i available via HDMI only.
|Integrated 3DTV support||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Second screen||Off-TV Play||Remote Play||SmartGlass|
|PlayStation Network||Xbox Live|
|Games can be shared/resold without a fee||Yes||Yes||No|
|Requires an Internet connection||No||No||Yes|
|List of games||List of Wii U games||List of PlayStation 4 games||List of Xbox One games|
|Backward compatibility||Nintendo optical discs
Not compatible with PlayStation 3 titles due to hardware incompatibility; other systems unannounced
Gaikai cloud streaming (not at launch)
|Not compatible with Xbox 360 titles due to hardware incompatibility|
Handheld consoles[change | change source]
Handheld comparison[change | change source]
|Name||Nintendo 3DS / 3DS XL||PlayStation Vita|
|Release dates||Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 3DS XL
|Launch prices||Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 3DS XL
|2013 prices||Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 3DS XL
Same as launch prices
Same as launch prices
|Units shipped||Worldwide: 31.09 million (as of 31 March 2013)||Worldwide: 2.2 million (as of 30 June 2012)|
|Best-selling game||Super Mario 3D Land, 8.29 million units (as of 31 March 2013)||N/A|
|5 in (130 mm) OLED 960 × 544 px|
|CPU||Dual-core ARM11 MPCore||Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore|
|GPU||Digital Media Professionals PICA200||PowerVR SGX543MP4+|
|Memory||128 MB FCRAM, 6 MB VRAM||512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM|
|Camera||One front-facing and a set of two rear-facing 3D 0.3 MP (VGA) camera sensors||Front and rear 0.3 MP (VGA) camera sensors|
||No internal storage
4 GB to 32 GB of proprietary removable memory sticks
|Media||Nintendo 3DS Game Card (1–8 GB)
Nintendo DS Game Card (8–512 MB)
|PlayStation Vita Game Card (2–4 GB)|
Nintendo 3DS XL
(determined by screen brightness, Wi-Fi, sound volume, and 3D effect)
(determined by screen brightness, Wi-Fi, sound volume, and whether 3G is active)
Nintendo 3DS XL
Nintendo 3DS XL
Nintendo 3DS XL
|List of games||List of Nintendo 3DS games||List of PlayStation Vita games|
|Backward compatibility||Nintendo Game Cards
References[change | change source]
- http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/game/3350902/ps4-release-date-specs-confirmed/ PS4 release date specs confirmed
- "Microsoft Confirms Next-Gen Xbox Announcement". IGN. 2013-04-24. http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/04/24/microsoft-confirms-next-gen-xbox-announcement. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- Bass, Dina; King, Ian (30 November 2012). "Microsoft Said to Plan Next Xbox for 2013 Holiday Season". Bloomberg. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-29/microsoft-said-to-plan-next-xbox-console-for-2013-holiday-season.html. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- Cull, James (20 June 2011). "Nvidia Tegra: The Future of Android Gaming". appstorm.net. http://android.appstorm.net/general/app-news/nvidia-tegra-the-future-of-android-gaming/.
- "Mobile Gaming is Dominating the Gaming Industry". Geekaphone. 27 July 2011. http://geekaphone.com/blog/mobile-games-by-the-numbers/.
- Alpeyev, Pavel (19 June 2011). "Nintendo May Fail to Replicate Wii Success as IPhone Games Bloom". Bloomberg.com. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-19/nintendo-may-fail-to-replicate-wii-success-as-iphone-games-bloom.html. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- Gallagher, Dan (21 June 2011). "Sony, Nintendo Place Big Bets on Handhelds". The Wall Street Journal. http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110621-708655.html. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- Agnello, Anthony John (9 February 2012). "Will Smart TVs End the Game Console Business?". InvestorPlace. http://www.investorplace.com/2012/02/will-smart-tvs-end-the-game-console-business-ntdoy-aapl-sne-msft/. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "PlayStation 2 manufacture ends after 12 years". The Guardian. 4 January 2013. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jan/04/playstation-2-manufacture-ends-years?INTCMP=SRCH. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- Langshaw, Mark; Reynolds, Matthew (January 13, 2013). "Can Android consoles Ouya, Project Shield challenge PlayStation, Xbox?". DigitalSpy.com. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a450282/can-android-consoles-ouya-project-shield-challenge-playstation-xbox.html. Retrieved March 7, 2013.
- Kelly, Tadhg (January 10, 2013). "With Ouya, GameStick, Steam Box and more, will 2013 be the year of the 'microconsole'?". Edge Online. http://www.edge-online.com/features/with-ouya-gamestick-steam-box-and-more-will-2013-be-the-year-of-the-microconsole/. Retrieved March 7, 2013.
- Pereira, Chris (January 15, 2013). "Digital and Nontraditional: Breaking Down Ouya, Steam Box, And Other New Wave Systems". 1up.com. http://www.1up.com/features/breaking-down-ouya-steam-box-new-wave-systems. Retrieved March 7, 2013.
- "Consolidated Sales Transition by Region" (PDF). Nintendo. 2013-04-23. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1303.pdf. Retrieved 2013-04-27.
- "Nintendo Top Selling Software Sales". Nintendo. 24 April 2013. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- By Spencer . 13 September 2012 . 12:04 am (13 September 2012). "Wii U Has 2GB of Main Memory, Discs Are 25GB". Siliconera. http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/13/wii-u-has-2gb-of-main-memory-discs-are-25gb/. Retrieved 2012-11-19.
- Mudgal, Kartik (29 November 2012). "Wii U CPU and GPU Clock Speeds revealed, slower than PS3/360". GamingBolt.com. http://gamingbolt.com/wii-u-cpu-and-gpu-clock-speeds-revealed-slower-than-ps3360. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "AMD and Nintendo Join Forces in Creating A New Way to Enjoy Console Gaming Entertainment". Marketwire.com. http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/amd-nintendo-join-forces-creating-new-way-enjoy-console-gaming-entertainment-nyse-amd-1523972.htm. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Xbox One vs. PS4 vs. PC: How the hardware specs compare". http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps4-vs-pc-how-the-hardware-specs-compare.
- "| Wii U Internal Storage Space Information". Nintendo.com. http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/external_usb_storage.jsp. Retrieved 2012-11-19.
- Navarro, Alex (7 July 2011). "Nintendo Begrudgingly Acknowledges Wii U 3D Support". Giantbomb.com. http://www.giantbomb.com/news/nintendo-begrudgingly-acknowledges-wii-u-3d-support/3459. Retrieved 2012-11-19.
- "Corporate Management Policy Briefing/Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2012". Nintendo.co.jp. 27 January 2012. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120127/04.html. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- Whitehead, Thomas (2012-10-23). "The Wii U Nintendo Network Will Connect to EA's Origin". Nintendo Life. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/10/the_wii_u_nintendo_network_will_connect_to_eas_origin. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- Jackson, Mike (2012-11-10). "Ubisoft targeting UPlay for Wii U 'sometime after launch'". ComputersAndVideoGames.com. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/377902/ubisoft-targeting-uplay-for-wii-u-sometime-after-launch/. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- "Wii U Will Be Region-Locked – IGN". Uk.ign.com. 24 September 2012. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/24/wii-u-will-be-region-locked. Retrieved 2012-11-19.
- "You Will Be Able To Trade Xbox One Games Online, Microsoft Says". http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- "Michael Denny on PS4′s philosophy, future & building something both developers & gamers want". http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/03/20/michael-denny/. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- "Microsoft: Xbox One isn't always online, but requires internet connection". http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/microsoft-xbox-one-isnt-always-online-but-requires-internet-c/. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- Kaluszka, Aaron (19 January 2011). "3DS North American Price, Date, Colors Set". Nintendo World Report. http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24774.
- $250 3DS launching March 27 GameSpot
- Nick Vuckovic (8 February 2011). "Nintendo 3DS launches in Australia on March 31st for $349". Vooks.net. http://www.vooks.net/story-19909-Nintendo-3DS-launches-in-Australia-on-March-31st-for-349.html. Retrieved 2011-02-08.
- Bob Munir (6 June 2011). "E3: Sony's PlayStation Vita due end of 2011 for $249". destructoid.com. http://www.destructoid.com/e3-sony-confirms-playstation-vita-249-299-pricetag-203067.phtml. Retrieved 2011-06-08.
- "An exciting message for people who own a Nintendo 3DS and those who want to". Nintendo.com. http://www.nintendo.com/corp/nintendo3ds/news/. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "3DS price cut 40% in Japan, now $169.99 in the U.S. – Video Games Reviews, Cheats". Geek.com. 28 July 2011. http://www.geek.com/articles/games/3ds-gets-40-price-cut-in-japan-u-s-by-september-20110728/. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- Gilbert, Ben (20 August 2012). "PlayStation Vita sales topped 2.2 million worldwise as of June 30". Joystiq.com. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/20/vita-sales-august-2012/. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Official PlayStation website: PlayStation Vita, PS Vita". http://uk.playstation.com/psvita/#select-tab-specifications. Retrieved 2011-03-07.
- "Sony outs tech specs for NGP". VG247. 27 January 2011. http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/27/sony-outs-tech-specs-for-ngp/. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- ""PlayStation®Vita" Expands Its Entertainment Experience by Introducing Various Applications for Social Networking Services and Communications". SYS-CON Media. 17 August 2011. http://www.sys-con.com/node/1947549.
- "Nintendo 3DS can accept 128GB SDXC cards". Nintendo Everything. 28 August 2012. http://nintendoeverything.com/97347/3ds-can-accept-128gb-sdxc-cards/.
- Nintendo 3DS – Hardware Specifications at Nintendo Nintendo
- Cullen, Johnny (24 January 2011). "Sony outs tech specs for NGP". VG247. http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/27/sony-outs-tech-specs-for-ngp/. Retrieved 25 January 2011.
- Lowe, Scott (22 December 2011). "How Good is the PS Vita's Battery Life?". IGN. http://ca.ign.com/articles/2011/12/22/ps-vita-battery-tests. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Nintendo 3DS To Get E-Book Service In Japan". Siliconera. http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/21/nintendo-3ds-to-get-e-book-service-in-japan/.
- Nintendo Shares Updated 3DS Specs andriasang.com
- Nintendo 3DS features Game Coins system aussie-nintendo
- DS games on 3DS – a few more details GoNintendo
- "Nintendo 3DS Region Locked – IGN". Uk.ign.com. 11 January 2011. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2011/01/11/nintendo-3ds-region-locked. Retrieved 2012-11-19.
- Pereira, Chris. "Vita is Not Region Locked, Says Sony Exec". 1up.com. http://www.1up.com/news/vita-not-region-locked-sony-exec. Retrieved 2012-11-19.