|— City —|
|• Type||Mayor – Council|
|• Mayor||Kirby Kruse|
|• Total||3.7 sq mi (9.7 km2)|
|• Land||3.6 sq mi (9.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,362 ft (415 m)|
|• Density||1,263.6/sq mi (487.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||56101, 56118|
|GNIS feature ID||0654245|
The city was named for William Windom, who was a United States Senator from Minnesota from 1881–1883, and was United States Secretary of the Treasury under presidents James Garfield, Chester Arthur and Benjamin Harrison.
Windom is located at  It is 1,362 feet (415 m) above sea level. The United States Census Bureau says that the city has a total area of 3.7 square miles (9.7 km²). 3.5 square miles (9.2 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km²) of it (5.08%) is water.(43.866346, -95.116937).
Windom is located in Minnesota's 1st congressional district, represented by Mankato educator Tim Walz, a Democrat. At the state level, Windom is located in Senate District 22, represented by Republican Doug Magnus, and in House District 22B, represented by Republican Rod Hamilton.
Windom is home to three schools: Windom Area Middle/High School, Winfair Elementary School, and Red Rock Ridge ALC. It is also home to two preschools: Busy Bees and Sunshine School.
Windom Area Middle/High School[change]
Windom Area Middle/High School is home to students grade 4-12 due to renovations in 2003. There are roughly 300 students attending the high school (grades 9-12) and 350 attending the middle school (grades 4-10). The school is led by Principal Eric Hanson and Superintendent Wayne Wormstadt.
- Football home of Top Minnesota recruits Michael Rivera and Tent Bever
- Volleyball - State Champions in 2008, State Runner up in 2007 2013 section 2A champs
- Cross Country - Boys and Girls- John Curley and Emily Turner, State Participants, 2010 (800 meter dash winner 7th grade John Turner)
- Basketball- Boys and Girls Hoops that Like to throw Alley-oops. Stepping stone to Intermural glory.
- Gymnastics-voted all state academics 12 years running
- Wrestling-Jared Peterson and Drake Borsgard-State Participants
- Golf - State Runner-up in 2008 Led by newcomer Nathan Luhchains.
- Lacrosse established in 2008 coached by Johnathan Smith who has a 21-46 career record star players have been Sean Mcgire, Phillip Symens, and Nolan Jones.
- Tennis only all state player in school history Brendon Chester
- Knowledge Bowl State Participants in 3 successive years 2009, 2010, and 2011
- YES! Team
- Speech-Many state participants, including Morgan Potter, State Champion in Prose
- Student Senate
Windom holds an annual summer festival called Riverfest during the second weekend of June. A pageant corresponds to this celebration which crowns a Miss Riverfest, a First Runner-Up, Miss Photogenic, Miss Congeniality and a Little Miss Riverfest. Other activities in this weekend celebration include: fireworks, Vickie Schendel 5K Walk/Run, tennis tourney, fishing tourney, turtle races, kiddie tractor pull, street dance, grand parade, and many more.
- Maria Schneider - Composer
- Johnny Olson - Gameshow announcer
- Larry Buhler - Professional football player
- Brown, John A. History of Cottonwood and Watonwan Counties, Minnesota: Their People, Industries, and Institutions. B.F. Bowen & Co.: Indianapolis, 1916.
- "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST13&prodType=table. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Template.cfm?Section=Find_a_County&Template=/cffiles/counties/usamap.cfm. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile for Windom, Minnesota". ePodunk. http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=21559. Retrieved 2010-05-29.
- Toro Locations
- big game treestands
- Windom Area High School, Windom, Minnesota
- WAHS Staff Listing