|Part of the Microsoft Windows family|
|Initial release||June 25, 1998[source?]|
|Stable release||4.10.2222A (May 5, 1999)[source?]|
|Source model||Closed source|
|Kernel type||Monolithic kernel|
|Unsupported as of July 11, 2006|
Windows 98 was seen by many as an upgrade to Windows 95, rather than a rebuilt version of Windows. The biggest changes were:
- Larger disk partitions (separations) were allowed
- Internet Explorer (a web browser) was made part of the GUI (what the user sees) and file manager. This had already happened in the last versions of Windows 95 that were released. This is called 'web integration'.
Because Microsoft made Internet Explorer such an important part of Windows 98, the company was taken to court by the United States Government. This was because they felt it was unfair to other companies who made web browsers.
Windows 98 Second Edition [change]
Windows 98 Second Edition (SE) was released in 1999. This was an official upgrade to Windows 98 which allowed people to use more types of computer hardware, like monitors and printers, and also let more than one machine on a network use the same Internet connection.
- "Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows Me Support ends on July 11, 2006". Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean18. Retrieved 2006-06-10.
Other websites [change]
- Windows 98 Homepage. Microsoft. Retrieved on April 22, 2006.
- HPC:Factor Windows 98 / 98SE Patches & Updates Guide
- A discussion board at MSFN containing links to unofficial upgrades and patches for this system.
- Windows 98 System Requirements
- GUIdebook: Windows 98 Gallery - A website dedicated to preserving and showcasing Graphical User Interfaces
- Windows 98/98SE UpgradePack - Accumulative patch for recent Windows 98 updates
- BBC News: BBC News: Microsoft shuts down Windows 98
- PC World: The shut down of Windows 98 is a cause for concern
- Daylight Saving Time (DST) Fix
- Windows 98 Generic USB Mass Storage Device Drivers - enables Windows98 to support most modern USB flash drives.
Windows 2000 / Windows ME