Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Centuries:||15th century – 16th century – 17th century|
|Decades:||1490s 1500s 1510s – 1520s – 1530s 1540s 1550s|
|Years:||1521 1522 1523 – 1524 – 1525 1526 1527|
Events[change | change source]
January–June[change | change source]
- January – Giovanni da Verrazzano, on board La Dauphine in the service of Francis I of France, sets out from Madeira for the New World.
- March 1 (approximate date) – da Verrazzano's expedition makes landfall at Cape Fear.
- April 17 – da Verrazzano's expedition makes the first European entry into New York Bay and sights the island of Manhattan.
July–December[change | change source]
- Summer – Paracelsus visits Salzburg. He also visits Villach during the year.
- July 8 – da Verrazzano's expedition returns to Dieppe.
- August–September – Marseille is besieged by Imperial forces under the Duke of Bourbon.
- October 28 – A French army invading Italy under King Francis besieges Pavia.
Births[change | change source]
- Luís de Camões, Portuguese poet (d. 1580)
- Catherine Howard, Fifth Queen of Henry VIII of England, (born in between 1518 and 1524; d. 1542)
Deaths[change | change source]
- Pietro Perugino – Italian painter
- June 12 – Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar, Spanish conquistador (b. 1465)
- July 20 – Claude of France, queen of Louis XII of France (b. 1499)
- December 24 – Vasco da Gama, Portuguese explorer (b. c. 1469)