Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Centuries:||16th century – 17th century – 18th century|
|Decades:||1580s 1590s 1600s – 1610s – 1620s 1630s 1640s|
|Years:||1611 1612 1613 – 1614 – 1615 1616 1617|
Events[change | change source]
- April 5 – In Virginia, Native American Pocahontas marries English colonist John Rolfe.
- October 11 – Adriaen Block and a group of Amsterdam merchants petition the States General for exclusive trading rights in the area he explored and named "New Netherland".
- The French Estates-General meets for the last time before the era of the French Revolution. In between, France will be governed as an absolute monarchy.
- John Napier publishes a paper outlining his discovery of logarithms.
- The University of Groningen is established.
- Institution of the Rosicrucian Order in Germany according to Fraternitas Rosae Crucis.
- Toyotomi Hideyori attempts to restore Osaka Castle. Tokugawa Ieyasu, father of the Shogun, is outraged at this act, and takes the castle by storm.
Births[change | change source]
- January 1 – John Wilkins, English clergyman (d. 1672)
- January 5 – Archduke Leopold Wilhelm of Austria, Governor of the Spanish Netherlands (d. 1662)
- July 10 – Arthur Annesley, 1st Earl of Anglesey, English royalist statesman (d. 1686)
- December 16 – Eberhard III, Duke of Württemberg (d. 1674)
- Franciscus Sylvius, German scientist (d. 1672)