From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||18th century – 19th century – 20th century|
|Decades:||1850s 1860s 1870s – 1880s – 1890s 1900s 1910s|
|Years:||1882 1883 1884 – 1885 – 1886 1887 1888|
Events[change | change source]
- Benz builds the first single-cylinder engine for car.
- John K Starley creates the first genuine bicycle, the Rover.
- John Boyd Dunlop invents the pneumatic tire.
- W.S. Gilbert & Arthur Sullivan's The Mikado
- The Times reports that "A lady well known in literary and scientific circles" has been cremated by the Cremation Society in Woking, Surrey. She is the first person to be officially cremated in the United Kingdom.
- Cholera epidemic in Spain – one of the victims is the king Alfonso XII.
- Third Burmese War begins.
- Sitting Bull joins Buffalo Bill.
- Randolph Churchill becomes a viceroy of India.
- Nikola Tesla sells a number of his patents to George Westinghouse.
- William Stanley, Jr. builds the first practical alternating current transformer device, the induction coil.
- Local anesthetic.
- First skyscraper – Home Insurance Building in Chicago, Illinois, USA (10 floors) is built.
- Bicycle Playing Cards are first produced.
- Grover Cleveland replaces Chester A. Arthur as President of the United States
Births[change | change source]
- January 8 – John Curtin, Australia's 14th Prime Minister
- September 17 – George Cleveland, Canadian actor