2011 Chicago mayoral election
|Turnout||42.3% 9.22 pp|
The city of Chicago, Illinois held a non-partisan mayoral election on Tuesday, February 22, 2011. Mayor Richard M. Daley, a member of the Democratic Party who had been in office since 1989, did not seek a seventh term as mayor.
Candidates needed to collect 12,500 petition signatures by November 22, 2010 to qualify for a place on the ballot. April 5, 2011 was scheduled to be a runoff election date if no candidate received a majority.
Six candidates appeared on the February 22 ballot:
- Gery Chico, former chief of staff to mayor Richard M. Daley and former chairman of the City Colleges of Chicago
- Miguel del Valle, City Clerk of Chicago and former Illinois State Senator
- Rahm Emanuel, former White House Chief of Staff and former U.S. Representative from Illinois's 5th district
- Carol Moseley Braun, former U.S. Senator from Illinois and former United States Ambassador to New Zealand
- Patricia Van Pelt Watkins, non-profit administrator and activist
- William "Dock" Walls, community activist, businessman, former aide to Mayor Harold Washington and perennial candidate
References[change | change source]
- Denvir, Daniel (May 22, 2015). "Voter Turnout in U.S. Mayoral Elections Is Pathetic, But It Wasn't Always This Way". City Lab (The Atlantic). Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- Webber, Tammy (September 7, 2010). "Chicago Mayor Daley won't run for re-election". Yahoo! News. Archived from the original on September 11, 2010. Retrieved September 7, 2010.
- Cillizza, Chris (November 15, 2010). "Jeb Bush rules out presidential run – for now". The Washington Post. Retrieved November 15, 2010.
- "Puerto Rican Vying to Be Chicago's First Hispanic Mayor". Latin American Herald Tribune. Retrieved September 10, 2010.
- Reiss, Dawn (September 9, 2010). "Who Wants to Be Next Mayor of Chicago?". Time. Retrieved September 10, 2010.
- Davey, Monica (February 22, 2011). "Rahm Emanuel Elected Mayor of Chicago". The New York Times.
- Mack, Kristen; Heinzmann, David (February 23, 2011). "Rahm Emanuel wins Chicago mayor race". Los Angeles Times.