American Airlines Flight 587
|Date||November 12, 2001|
|Summary||Tail structure failure because of pilot error in wake turbulence|
|Place||Queens, New York City, United States|
|Injuries (non-fatal)||1 (ground)|
|Fatalities||265 (including 5 on the ground)|
|Aircraft type||Airbus A300B4-605R|
|Flew from||John F. Kennedy Int'l Airport|
|Flying to||Las Américas Int'l Airport
American Airlines Flight 587 was a scheduled commercial flight from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City to Las Américas International Airport in the Dominican Republic. The aircraft used was a Airbus A300-600. On November 12, 2001, the aircraft crashed into the Belle Harbor neighborhood of Queens, New York. All 260 people on the flight were killed. Five people on the ground were also killed. The crash was caused by the failure of the plane's tail because of pilot error in wake turbulence (turbulence that forms behind an airplane as it goes through the air). It is the second-deadliest plane crash in the United States after American Airlines Flight 191, which occurred on May 25, 1979.
References[change | change source]
- ASN Aircraft accident Airbus A300B4-605R N14053 Belle Harbor, NY
- "Pilot error blamed for Flight 587 crash", AP.
- Irvine, Reed. Accuracy in Media, Rumors about Flight 587, February 6, 2002
Other websites[change | change source]
- PDF (1.86 MB)
- Archive of AA.com on November 13, 2001
- Photos of the plane involved in the accident and of the crash scene from Airliners.net
- Algarobba, Hector; Burkeman, Oliver (September 11, 2002). "Hector Algarobba's essay on how he was affected by the disaster of AA587". The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/sep/11/september112002.september1161.
- "A Wave Exclusive….Flight 587 Witnesses Speak Out At Wave Sponsored Meeting". The Wave. July 20, 2002. http://www.rockawave.com/news/2002-07-20/Front_Page/D-Witnesses_Stories0720.html.
- Hoffstadt, Brett; Trombettas, Victor (July 24, 2004). "U.S.Read's Flight 587 Preliminary Report: Executive Summary". Usread.Com. http://usread.com/flight587/Prelim_Report/default.html.