Anantapur district (officially:Anantapuram district) is a district in the Rayalaseema region of Andhra Pradesh, India. The district headquarters is located at Anantapur city. As of 2011[update] Census, the district had a population of 4,083,315, of which 28.09% is urban and a literacy rate of 64.28%. It is the largest district in terms of area in Andhra Pradesh and 7th largest district in India respectively.
Geography[change | change source]
It is bounded on the north by Kurnool District, on the east by Kadapa District, on the southeast by Chittoor District, and on the southwest and west by Karnataka state. It is part of Rayalaseema region on the state. Its northern and central portions are a high plateau, generally undulating, with large granite rocks or low hill ranges rising occasionally above its surface. In the southern portion of the district the surface is more hilly, the plateau there rising to 2,000 ft (610 m). above the sea.
Anantapur city is 354 km from Hyderabad, 200 km from the neighbouring state capital of Bangalore. Anantapur connects Hyderabad and Bangalore through National Highway 7. There is an airport in the district located in Puttaparthi, known as Sri Sathya Sai Airport; however this airport currently has no scheduled service. Bangalore International Airport is nearest commercial airport to Anantapur District.
Demographics[change | change source]
As of 2011[update] census of India, Anantapur district has a population of 4,081,148 with 9,68,160 households, ranking it as the 7th most populous district in the state. It is the largest district in the state with an area of 19,130 km2 (7,390 sq mi). Anantapur has a sex ratio of 977 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 63.57%. Urban population in the district is 28.9% of total population.
References[change | change source]
- Reporter, Staff. "Anantapur district to be renamed Anantapuram". The Hindu. Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- "Anantapur district profile". Andhra Pradesh State Portal. Archived from the original on 15 July 2014.
- "Top 10 Largest Districts of India by Total Area". census2011.co.in.
- Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Andhra Pradesh: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1111–1112. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "Island Directory Tables: Islands by Land Area". United Nations Environment Program. 18 February 1998. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- "Historical Background". Archived from the original on 15 May 2013.
- One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). . Encyclopædia Britannica. 1 (Eleventh ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 913.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- "District Census Handbook – Anantapur" (PDF). Census of India. p. 14. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Census 2011". Official website of Anantapuram district. Retrieved 19 March 2016.