Automobiles of the 1920s
Automobiles have changed considerably since 1893 due to the more efficient ways for new cars to be developed. The car industry was thriving in the 1920s. There were many new types of cars. In the beginning of the 1920s many of the soldiers returning from World War I bought automobiles. People started to see that having a car would make traveling much easier. Soon almost every American family had a car. Ford was the big car maker but other companies were also big at the time. Ford cars, such as the Ford Model T, were popular because they were cheap and reliable. When new Ford models came out people would always get the newer version.
The automobiles industry in Europe and the United States expanded greatly during the 1920s. There were many changes in the industry and new types of cars. Having a car allowed families and individuals to travel more easily. Famous cars of the 1920s included:
- 1922–1939 Austin 7 – the Austin Seven was one of the most widely copied vehicles ever, serving as a template for cars around the world, from BMW to Nissan.
- 1922–1931 Lancia Lambda – very advanced car for the time, first car to feature a load-bearing monocoque-type body and independent front suspension.
- 1924–1929 Bugatti Type 35 – the Type 35 was one of the most successful racing cars of all time, with over 1,000 victories in five years.
- 1925–1928 Hanomag 2 / 10 PS – an early example of modern styling: bodywork began to enclose the full width and length of a car.
- 1927–1931 Ford Model A (1927–1931) – after keeping the Model T in production for too long, Ford broke with the past and restarted its model series with the 1927 Model A. More than 4 million were produced, making it the best-selling model of the era. The Ford Model A was a prototype for the beginning of Soviet mass car production (GAZ A).
- 1930 Cadillac V-16 – developed at the height of the vintage era, the V16-powered Cadillac would join Bugatti's Royale as the most legendary ultra-luxury cars of the era.
- 1929 The Hobnocker - A very fast vehicle with agile movement for such a small compact vehicle.