This article needs more sources for reliability. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- The title of this article contains the character ö. Where it is unavailable or not wanted, the name may be written as Bad Toelz.
Bad Tölz seen from River Isar
|• Mayor||Josef Janker (CSU)|
|• Total||30.80 km2 (11.89 sq mi)|
|Elevation||658 m (2,159 ft)|
|• Density||600/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
In 1937 a SS-Junkerschule (SS Officer Candidate School) was made at Bad Tölz which operated until the end of World War II in 1945. As well, a subcamp of the Dachau concentration camp was located in the town. It provided labour for the SS-Junkerschule and the Zentralbauleitung (Central Administration Building). The former SS-Junkerschule was the base of the U.S. Army's 1st Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group until 1991.
Bad Tölz is known for its spas, historic medieval town, and spectacular views of the alps. On the western bank of the Isar River lies the Kurverwaltung, or modern spa, whose iodine-rich waters are known for their soothing and healing powers. Another major attraction is Stadtpfarrkirche, a church made in 1466, which is a good example of German late-Gothic architecture.
Geography[change | change source]
Culture[change | change source]
- Bad Tölz is the setting of the popular television series, Der Bulle von Tölz.
- Tölzer Knabenchor - a world-famous boys choir.
- Bad Tölz is famous for the hockey club EC Bad Tölz (also known as Tölzer Löwen)
References[change | change source]
- "Alle politisch selbständigen Gemeinden mit ausgewählten Merkmalen am 31.12.2018 (4. Quartal)". DESTATIS. Archived from the original on 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). January 2018.
- Edward Victor. Alphabetical List of Camps, Subcamps and Other Camps. wwww.edwardvictor.com/Holocaust/List %20 0f %20 camps. htm
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bad Tölz.|