|Etymology: Bengali: বরাহনগর ("city of hogs")|
|District||North 24 Parganas|
|Metro Station||Noapara and Baranagar(under construction)|
|• Body||Baranagar Municipality|
|• Municipality Chairman||Aparna Moulik|
|• MLA||Tapas Roy (State Minister of West Bengal)|
|• Total||7.12 km2 (2.75 sq mi)|
|Elevation||12 m (39 ft)|
|• Rank||19th (in West Bengal)|
187th (in India)
|• Density||34,000/km2 (89,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
700035, 700036, 700090, 700108
|Telephone code||+91 33|
|Vehicle registration||WB-23, WB-24, WB-25, WB-26|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Dum Dum|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Baranagar|
Baranagar or Baranagore is a city and municipality of North 24 Parganas district in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is in the region of Greater Kolkata and therefore is a part of the area covered by Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA).
It is home to the Indian Statistical Institute for research, teaching and application of statistics, natural sciences and social sciences. Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School is one of the oldest and renowned schools in Baranagar and North 24 Parganas.
Baranagar is a major industrial centre for the manufacture of agricultural and industrial machinery, chemicals, castor oil, and matches. There are also many cotton-processing companies.
Name[change | change source]
The word Baranagar derives from the Bengali term Barahanagore (Bengali: বরাহনগর), meaning "City of the Hogs". (বরাহ: hog, নগর: city)
Famous residents[change | change source]
- Sitaramdas Omkarnath
- Sarada Devi
- Swami Vivekananda
- Swami Brahmananda
- Rani Rashmoni
- Sasipada Banerji
- Rajkumari Banerji
- Albion Rajkumar Banerjee
- Manik Bandopadhyay
- Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis
- Rabindranath Tagore
- Rudraprasad Sengupta
- Swatilekha Sengupta
- Sohini Sengupta
- Jeet Gannguli
- Shiboprosad Mukherjee
- Abhishek Chatterjee
- Dola Banerjee
- Rahul Banerjee
- Bidyut Baran Chaudhuri
- C. A. Murthy
- Sabitri Chatterjee
- Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay
- Atanu Das
- Sanjib Chattopadhyay (Famous Bengali writer)
- Prabhabati Dutt
- Rajib Bhattacharya (Everest summiter)
Education[change | change source]
University[change | change source]
Baranagar houses the headquarters of the Indian Statistical Institute. It is an academic institute of national importance as recognised by a 1959 act of the Indian parliament. Established in 1931, this public university of India is focused on statistics.
Colleges[change | change source]
Colleges of Baranagar are:
Schools[change | change source]
Baranagar is also home to many schools providing quality education to the local and neighbourhood people.
- Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School (Senior secondary boys' school)
- Ramakrishna Mission Centenary Primary School, Baranagaore (Primary boys' school)
- Baranagar Vidyamandir (Primary, Secondary and H.S., for boys and girls)
- Baranagar Narendranath Vidyamandir
- Baranagar Rajkumari Memorial Girls' School
- Khalsa Model Senior Secondary School, Dunlop Bridge (Started by Sikh Sangat Gurdwara, Dunlop Bridge)
- Ananda Ashram Sarada Vidyapith
- Baranagar Netaji Colony Bharti Girls' Institution
- Netaji High School
- Baranagar Rameswar H.S. School
- Baranagar Victoria School, Kuthighat
- Ashokegarh Adarsha Vidyalaya
- Jyotinagar Bidyashree Niketan
- Sinthi Ram Krishna Sangha Vidya Mandir
- Sinthee Ray Bahadur Badridas Tulsan Vidyapith (RBT School)
- Mata Monmohini Secondary School
- Baranagar Mayapith Girls' High School
- Delhi Public School North Kolkata
- Calcutta Public School, Bidhan Park
- Baranagar Mohan Girls' High School
- Central Modern School, Baranagar
- Alambazar Urdu High School
- Jyotinagar Vidyashree Niketan
Health facilities[change | change source]
Following hospitals are located in Baranagar:
- Baranagar State General Hospital
- Disha Eye Hospital, Sinthi
- National Institute for Locomotor Disability (NILD)
- Baine Hospital
- Baranagar Matri Sadan
- Indian Institute of Psycometry (IIP)
Sports[change | change source]
Many sport academies and sporting clubs are in Baranagar:
- Nobodoy Football Academy
- Seishinkai Indian Karate Do & Kick Boxing Institute
- Bandhudal Sporting Club
- Calcutta Archery Club
- Baranagar Archery Club
- Baranagar Sporting Club
Tourist attractions[change | change source]
Several educational institutions, religious places, pilgrims, places of Baranagar are tourist attractions:
- Baranagore Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama High School
- Indian Statistical Institute
- Baranagar Math
- Alambazar Math
- Kripamayee Kali Temple
- Pathbari Temple
- Mahamilan Math
- St. James' Church, Baranagar
- Dunlop Gurudwara
- Glass Temple
- Kuthi Ghat
- Dutch kuthi
Besides these, many people come in Baranagar every year in Durga puja period, in the time of "Ajanta Circus".
References[change | change source]
- Official District Administration site Archived 15 January 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "Welcome to www.baranagarmunicipality.org". Archived from the original on 7 July 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Tapas Roy, the MLA of Baranagar". The Telegraph. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011" (PDF). Constituents of Urban Agglomeration Having Population Above 1 Lakh. Census of India 2011. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "ISI Kolkata Campus". Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Baranagar, Kolkata". Retrieved 13 June 2018.
- Cotton, H.E.A., Calcutta Old and New, 1909/1980, pp 806–807, General Printers and Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
- "Brief history of Baranagar Math". Ramakrishna Mission, Baranagar. Archived from the original on 8 July 2013. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "Shiboprosad Mukherjee Biography". Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- "Abhishek Chatterjee Biography". Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "Dola Banerjee, biography". archeryworldcup.org. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011.
- Shuvro Ghoshal. "From Baranagar to Shanghai: The unsung journey of Indian archer Atanu Das". Retrieved 6 May 2016.
- Everester dies in Nepal climb
- "UNSD Document – The Indian Statistical Institute Act 1959". United Nations Statistics Division. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Affiliated Schools of West Bengal Board of secondary Education".
- "Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Baranagar Mission". Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "RAMAKRISHNA MISSION CENTENARY PRIMARY SCHOOL, BARANAGORE". Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "Baranagar State General Hospital".
- "Disha Eye Hospital, Baranagar".
- "National Institute for Locomtor Disabilities (Divyangjan)". Retrieved 5 September 2015.
- "Baranagar Matri Sadan".
- "Indian Institute of Psycometry, Baranagar, Kolkata".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2019-01-24. Retrieved 2019-07-03.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Bandhudal Sporting Club, Baranagar".
- Shamik Chakraborty. "Archery's Hope". Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- Baranagar Archery Club - Google Search
- "The goal of the goal is to run away". Ei Samay. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2019-07-03. Retrieved 2019-07-03.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "RKM – Index". Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "AlambazarMath". Archived from the original on 10 January 2014. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
Other websites[change | change source]
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Media from Commons|
|Travel guide from Wikivoyage|
|Data from Wikidata|