Ashmini Kumar Town Hall
|Granted city status||2003|
|• Body||Barisal City Corporation|
|• City Mayor||Shawkat Hossain Hiron|
|• Metropolitan city||19.99 km2 (7.72 sq mi)|
|• Metropolitan city||210,374|
|• Density||10,524/km2 (27,260/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BST (UTC+6)|
Barisal City is a town in southern Bangladesh. It is an old port on the Kirtankhola. It is 142 km (373 km by road) away from the capital city Dhaka. It is now the headquarters of both the Barisal Division and the Barisal District. The city has 30 wards and 50 mahallas. Barisal municipality was formed in 1957 and was turned into a City Corporation in 2000.
Barisal City has one police academy.
Education[change | change source]
Barisal is a major center for higher education in Bangladesh. A few of city’s education institutions are:
Universities[change | change source]
Medical College[change | change source]
College[change | change source]
- Brojomohun College
- Government Syed Hatem Ali College
- Barisal Government Women's College
- Amrita Lal Dey College
- Barisal Cadet College
School[change | change source]
- Barisal Zilla School
- Barisal Govt. Girls' High School
There is also a Physical education college, a Nursing institute and two Teacher's training colleges.
References[change | change source]
- "Speech of Mayor on Spacial Intarnational Working Conference". Chittagong City Corporation. http://www.ccc.org.bd/mayors_hague.html. Retrieved 2009-12-21.
- "Area, Population and Literacy Rate by Paurashava –2001". Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original on 7 February 2009. https://web.archive.org/web/20090207025417/http://www.bbs.gov.bd/dataindex/census/municip.pdf. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- "Statistical Pocket Book, 2008" (pdf). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original on 19 April 2009. https://web.archive.org/web/20090419080055/http://www.bbs.gov.bd/dataindex/pby/pk_book_08.pdf. Retrieved 2009-08-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Barisal|