Battle of Badr
|Battle of Badr|
|Part of the Muslim-Quraysh Wars|
|Muslims of Medina||Quraysh of Mecca|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Muhammad||Amr ibn Hishām|
|Casualties and losses|
The Battle of Badr (Arabic: غزوة بدر), was fought March 17, 624 CE  of western Arabia (present-day Saudi Arabia). It was a key battle in the early days of Islam and a turning point in Muhammad's struggle with his opponents among the Quraysh in Mecca. The battle has been passed down in Islamic history as a decisive victory because of divine intervention. Also, it is attributed to the genius of Muhammad. Although it is one of the few battles specifically mentioned in the Muslim holy book, the Qur'an, virtually all contemporary knowledge of the battle at Badr comes from traditional Islamic accounts, both hadiths and biographies of Muhammad, written decades after the battle.
Related pages[change | change source]
Footnotes[change | change source]
- ↑ 17 Ramadan 2 AH in the Islamic calendar in the Hejaz
- ↑ "Important Events: The Battle of Badr". Inside Islam. The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System. 16 April 2012. Retrieved 16 September 2016.
References[change | change source]
Books and articles[change | change source]
- Ali, Abdullah Yusuf (1987). The Holy Qur'an: Text, Translation & Commentary. Tahrike Tarsile Qur'an; Reissue edition. ISBN 0940368323.
- Armstrong, Karen (1992). Muhmmad: Biography of the Prophet. HarperCollins. ISBN 0062508865.
- Crone, Patricia (1987). Meccan Trade and the Rise of Islam. Blackwell.
- Hodgson, Marshall (1974). The Venture of Islam: The Classical Age of Islam. University of Chicago Press. ISBN 0226346838.
- Lings, Martin (1983). Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources. Inner Traditions International. ISBN 0892811706.
- Nicolle, David (1993). Armies of the Muslim Conquest. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 185532279X.
- Watt, W. Montgomery (1956). Muhammad at Medina. Oxford University Press.
Online references[change | change source]
- "Translation of Malik's Muwatta". USC-MSA Compendium of Muslim Texts. Archived from the original on 2008-11-28.
- "Translation of Sahih Muslim". USC-MSA Compendium of Muslim Texts. Archived from the original on 2008-12-01.
- "Translation of Sahih al-Bukhari". USC-MSA Compendium of Muslim Texts. Archived from the original on 2009-01-08.
- "Partial Translation of Sunan Abu-Dawud". USC-MSA Compendium of Muslim Texts. Archived from the original on 2008-09-15.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Manaqib Ashab al-Badriyyin Archived 2010-01-07 at the Wayback Machine A prayer citing the virtues and exploits of the Muslims who took part in the battle.
- Badr at IslamAnswers.Net
- The Battle of Badr at Al-Islam.Org
- The first battle of Islam at Badr: Islamic Occasions Network
- Hope Springs Eternal Archived 2008-02-01 at the Wayback Machine A nice multimedia presentation at IslamOnline.Net
- MSN Virtual Earth: A modern-day satellite image of Badr, now called "Badr Hunayn".
- Tafsir (Sura 8: verse 11 to 18) - Battle of Badr: Analysis of Qur'anic verses by Irshaad Hussain.
Constitution of Medina
| Life of the Prophet Muhammad
Year: 624 CE